What is your favorite firewall to use?

I have charter as well on the “Ultra” package which is where the 400/20 comes from. In real life I see closer to 460/23

1 Like

I Personaly Use Ipfire, On an machine i got of AliExpress.
The config has moved over the years without issues from P4 - PD - Core 2 Duos and Quads to the J8000 i have in it now.

Work we use Checkpoints, and in the process of Migrating them to Newer versions, and changing the wan conection.

1 Like

I am not the “Firewall Guy” at work. :wink:
We used to have a few Astaro appliances but I think we moved over to Cisco Firepower.

At home I use a DIY pfSense box which is running for 3 or 4 years now. Here are the specs for the other tech Geeks:

Motherboard: MSI Z97I AC
NIC: HP NC364T PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Server Adapter
CPU: Intel Core i3-4170
Memory: 2 x Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600
Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 SV300S37A/120G
PSU: be quiet! System Power 7 300W
Internet: 600mbs up & down FTTH

The system is now almost totally cooled by Noctua fans

1 Like

pfSense,no doubt,been using it for over like 10 year on several hardware,in my point of view it is the best of them all.

1 Like

I’m using PFsense on a small PC at home, great value and tiny footprint I think. I have a J1900 somewhat like this model Qutom Chinese pc, 4nic (@home)

Does ok for me with a bit of Suricata and PFblocker-ng, mini homelands on a 200/200 connection. I’m still learning and changing stuff so might hit a limit somewhere in the future.

1 Like

I am doing it at home also,really small home-network with APU2C4 on a 100MB fiber connection (allmost all of the resident homes,new ones got this in Sweden),servers me well,allmost better than my previous machine (Celeron with 8GB memory and SSD drive)…this hardware is overkill for this connection …!

1 Like

At home i have an Asus AC66U with a custom firmware, but i’m looking to change to a Netgate box.

In my work they use a cisco box, i think is an old RV one.

1 Like

Depending of the speed of your connection get a APU2C4 or something more powefull and install pfSense,you are not going to regret…

1 Like

Sorry,i might missread,you might get the Netgate SG-3100 instead

1 Like

At the office I use SonicWall TZ500, have had it for about two years and works great.
Still looking to get a physical firewall at home, want to build out a box for pf sense, that is one of my 2019 goals.

1 Like

I’ve been using OPNsense on an old box for a while, not sure if I’ll go back to PF though.

1 Like

At home, pFsense installed on a super micro SYS-5018A-MLTN4 which is a 1u atom server. Installed with 2 GB ram.

1 Like

At home, the default ISP box, at my uni flat, a Meraki MX64 HA setup, in the lab a pair of virtualized pfSense under esxi, at work a fortigate something box.

1 Like

pfSense on a Dell R410, want to play with a USG as I think I’ll be deploying them for family members.

2 Likes

I want to do that as well at some point i have my controller ready to go just have not done it yet

1 Like

I use pfSense at home in a CARP/HA setup on an ESXi cluster which is also in HA. For work based deployments, I’ve mainly got pfSense setup in CARP/HA setup as well on ESXi clusters with a low end box that runs pfSense on the hardware as a last resort.

1 Like

At the home lab I’m using a licensed Untangle firewall in an ESXi environment on an HP DL360 G7. Very solid setup, no issues with latency. Considering moving to XCP-NG in the future when I’m ready to migrate the VMs.

1 Like

At work we use a Watchguard, but support is ending and the appliance has been EOL for a while. So we might be moving to something else, Untangle, Fortinet, or if I could PFSense.

At home i have PFSense with FIOS

1 Like

Favorite firewall for me depends entirely on the use case:
-Home router/firewall for myself and tech savvy friends, as well as swiss army knife to bring with me in my laptop bag and travel suitcase: Mikrotik
-Running within a hypervisor for any reason, possibly not even as a firewall but more of a VPN concentrator or plain router: PFSense
-Small remote systems such as cafes or summer camps, especially if I need to share admin roles with less network savvy persons: Unifi (USG plus complete system)
-Any place that needs a full fat firewall with subscription base policy updates, such as hotels (my main job is an engineer for the hospitality industry): Watchguard

EdgeRouter is meh to me, I’d rather have a Mikrotik or PFSense. Sonicwall and FortiGate have interfaces and/or programming paradigms that don’t work well with how I think about networking. Cisco ASA is bearable but not my favorite for anything in particular. Meraki is nice for the same purposes as Unifi, but I’d never install it unless a customer asks for it (my experience with it has been due to certain hotel brands that standardized on Meraki for everything).

2 Likes

Pfsense running in a Qotom box. Also, use it as a VM when doing some testing.

2 Likes