VLOG Thursday 229

I could definitely use a managed switch to expand my home network beyond my basic unmanaged 8-port switch that I have now. Plus, it’ll be great to have hands-on experience learning Cisco’s system.

1 Like

Four things:

1. Replace the two 4 port TP Link L2 switches serving my work desk so that I can re-deploy them elsewhere
  2. Experiment with true LAGG for my NAS
  3. Work on getting system logs pushed to my ELK stack
  4. Play with port mirroring for IDS / IPS

Thanks, @LTS_Tom!

1 Like

I only have a home network, but I’m proud of it. I do have a need that I think this switch would meet, and that is I need a POE+ switch to expand my network. It’s time to replace my aging coax security camera system around the house, with IP cameras that use POE, along with an outdoor wifi access point, and a Raspberry Pi allsky camera system, all that use POE. This switch would let me power cameras, create a dedicated camera subnet. Just what I’ve been looking for!

1 Like

This would be an awesome project for my daughter and I to work on this summer. Trying to get her an edge in a field that is typically harder for women to get their foot in the door.

1 Like

Thanks for the giveaway! I’d love to try one of these to learn more about managed switches. I’m only operating a 5 port 1Gb unmanaged switch…outta work ATM. Learning PFSense on a little ITX based box, would love to mate it to a real switch. Thanks again.

WNG

This will help me build up my network home lab.

1 Like

I have a family of three with a newborn so I have to study at night when everyone goes to bed. I am studying for the CCNA exam, but can only use sims for practicing. I picked up an HP switch off ebay for a few bucks thinking the concepts would be similar, but it is so different from Cisco and doesn’t transfer over at all. I’ve actually grown to hate HP switches. For example, trying to implement an access control list on HP requires you to set up five different non-related functions in the switch just to get it up. Like… why would they do this!? So I can only use simulations online to supplement my reading. I would love to have a real Cisco switch to actually play with and I think it would help me a lot in getting ready for the CCNA. It would go into a home lab I have built out of some $20 dell precision workstations from 2010 I was able to scrounge together. The wife doesn’t like spending funds on computer stuff, unfortunately. Having this Cisco switch would go a long way to helping a family guy nerd out! Thanks for your consideration.

1 Like

There is a nifty site called myus.com for those out of the US. So you would ship to a US address and the package will ship internationally(if the user has a myus address to ship to) :slight_smile: hope this helps!

I would love to add a managed switch to my environment and level you Cisco knowledge up.

1 Like

Though I’m studying medicine, networking has always been my passion and I spend wayy too much time setting up my home network and even messing with the hosp equipments. I have an unmanaged and a semi-managed (smart) switch and I’m looking forward to learning the nitty gritty of a managed one if I can get one. I’ll be joining a CCNA course soon, just for fun, and this will help me get a much more hands on approach if I had it.

I’m running a much older switch in my setup that is only 10/100 that feeds the majority (read everything but my PC) and it limits the speed I can actually use on everything (my connection is 400/20). This switch would allow me to have a GB connection to a few more of my important devices and still have the manageability that I need for my VLANs. Couple that with me just getting my CCNA and I can use this switch to help stay up with my training. Either way, I appreciate the opportunity to enter the giveaway as well as everything I learn from watching your channel.

1 Like

I’m more of a tinkerer and would use this for training and home lab setup.

1 Like

I crashed and had to rebuild my pfSense router in my home (lab) multiple times when I was trying to configure VLANs. My current switch is unmanaged. I could use this Cisco Switch to continue to learn VLANs and networking, which clearly I need to spend more time learning and expanding the network. Once again I enjoy your content and much of my home lab is built around what I have learned from your channel.

1 Like

Tom,

This Cisco switch could really augment my VLAN setup in the lab part of my home network where I do a lot of sandbox application testing

1 Like

kick booty switch. thanks for the opportunity at the chance for winning one!

1 Like

I would love to use this switch in my homelab and get more experience with Cisco gear.

1 Like

I could definitely use a managed switch to expand my home network

1 Like

I am at max with my unifi switch. I am sure I can use to make some changes in configuration!!

1 Like

I work in IT but have virtually no experience with Cisco gear. This would be a great way to start, and also needed upgrade to the dumb switch in my homelab.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to put in a managed switch to go along with the pfSense firewall I put in earlier this year. I’m particularly interested in segmenting my network with VLANs.

1 Like