VLOG Thursday 228

I have an offsite backup server in my grandparents’ closet. It would be very useful for me to have direct access to it from home. I can remote in now, but if I need to do any more advanced work on it (BIOS, etc.), it’s a huge pain.

Yes please, thank you for doing this Tom.

“me me me"

I built the piKVM with the USB to HDMI, but it isn’t quite working as well as it should. Their new v3 board would fix this, but isn’t available yet (and will be a bit pricier). So I’m entering here for a lottery ticket (which is an unfair thing to say because the chances will be better than winning the lottery)

Hey Tom! Big fan of the channel and especially your Pfsense & Homelab videos. Keep on keepin on!

I will use it to manage my Plex transcoding farm which is turned on when heavy transcoding is needed. Normally the server handles transcoding but there is no GPU acceleration on the server. The plex transcode farm is a X570 mobo so there is no IPMI to easily turn it on and off.

Interested in messing around with Raspberry Pi, the fact it functions as a KVM would be cool to check out. Your videos are amazing!!

I’d love to get one of these for my HomeLab! It is such a pain to fix servers that do not have an IPMI interface.

Great tool for learning more!

Love to use this with a client of mine who has a server with no IPMI…

Hey Tom!

I would definitely use this in my lab environment! I am always looking for ways to not have to walk to my lab area haha!

I would totally use this for my home lab. I’ve got some old Dell servers that require an old version of Java to remote into iDRAC which is basically impossible to get working anymore.

I would love to use this for my HomeLab. I just got my rack setup and successfully running xcp-ng/XenOrchestra by watching your channel. I’ve learned so much this past year. Thank you for the great content!

Would be handy if it could be used everywhere Java is currently needed. Idrac 6, raritan, etc… are a pain with Java going away. I would like to find solutions before I need them.

Thank you for doing the give aways. Hoping to win something. Good luck to everyone that enters.

Will use it to manage headless home automation and pinhole

Would use it to remote manage my headless servers cause idrac6 requiring java makes it almost unusable.

Love your videos and tutorials. This is how i have workaround for KVM in my rack with respberry pi connected to Pfsense and network switches on USB ports on RPI and access through VNC server or viewer. RPI USB ports are providing console access to devices in rack. Love to test new solution, have empty space in my RPI rack mounts :slight_smile:

The ability to access the console port with this device would be awesome for remote lights out management all the way to the boot loader level.

This would be great for my home lab at home where I run a truenas server, Plex server, PXE server and much more for my wife and kids, my kids are starting collage and one is into photography and that’s so many pictures. He uploads to home all the time and the game servers I like to host for kids and friends. I am always traveling and that would be great. A great show as always

Regarding Overkill and virtual CPU allocation. There is an issue I’ve encountered in vmWare, coStop. The basic idea being that a virtual system will wait for the proper number of cores to be available before its cut loose to said cored. The analogy is teh classic log ride at an amusement park. If each “log” can carry 8 riders and each “seat” has its own line. A family of 6 which wants to ride together will all have to stand and wait, allowing other “riders” to take their turn until all 6 are ready to get in the log at the same time.

In practice I was able to measure the effect within Smokeping ICMP measurements. By adding cores latency would increase.
Obviously large workloads require the extra cores, but small workloads that are not using the additional “overkill” can induce latency issues with no other gain.