iDRAC 7 Express to Enterprise Upgrade Question

Is upgrading a server that has an iDRAC 7 Express remote access controller to an iDRAC 7 Enterprise one simply a license upgrade or is there hardware involved? I’m looking into getting a refurbished server from TechSupply Direct and see it’s an extra $120 for enterprise vs express, but I’m seeing license codes for enterprise a lot cheaper on eBay. I’m assuming there’s extra hardware involved accounting for the price difference, but haven’t been able to find clear confirmation online. Can someone explain this to me?

I believe it’s the same process as IBM whereby you obtain a licence key which you need to activate either via the idrac interface or via the dell website. I’m not an expert on Dell though.
Either way it’s software based. No hardware involved. I would be careful buying licences via eBay though since they may have already been used.

The company I work for may be able to also provide you a competitive quote too. Speak to Shaun East at Covenco for details. He should be able to assist you.

I have a DellT320, bought ebay licence and just applied to iDrac7 Express and I had Enterprice active. To buy licence you have to provide them with your server tag.

I recently purchased one of these licenses from eBay, but I’ve noticed that it originates from China. This has raised some concerns for me, mainly revolving around security and the legality of using such a license.

While I understand that the license itself is a key to unlock additional iDRAC features and doesn’t contain executable code, I’m still hesitant about any potential security risks. Could applying this license in any way provide a backdoor or unauthorized access to my system? I’m keen on maintaining the security of my server and want to ensure I’m not inadvertently introducing any vulnerabilities.

Unless that backdoor already exists in the iDrac I don’t see an issue.

1 Like

The license comes in an XML file that has an X.509 certificate and a signature in raw text format. Is there anyway I can find out who the CA is with both of this information?

Would something like this help figure out who really issued the cert?