How To Build XO From Sources on Debian 10 Using XenOrchestraInstallerUpdater

Load Debian 10 in a VM on XCP-NG (or where ever you prefer) and as of April 2020 it is recommended that the allocate at least 4GB of ram to that machine and as many CPU resources as you find reasonable. The source code compiling process speed will vary greatly based on what you have allocated. Next make sure git is installed using

apt install git

Then clone the latest installer from https://github.com/ronivay/XenOrchestraInstallerUpdater by running

git clone https://github.com/ronivay/XenOrchestraInstallerUpdater.git

If you plan on using a self signed certificate as shown in the video, then choose a location such as /etc/ssl/xo and create the keys using:

openssl req -newkey rsa:4096 \
            -x509 \
            -sha256 \
            -days 3650 \
            -nodes \
            -out xo.crt \
            -keyout xo.key

Then go back into the /root/XenOrchestraInstallerUpdater directory and copy the sample config over to xo-install.cfg:

cp sample.xo-install.cfg xo-install.cfg

Then edit the xo-install.cfg for the setting you want for your server, here are the setting used in the video:

# Port number where xen-orchestra service is bound
PORT="443"
#PLUGINS="xo-server-transport-email,xo-server-usage-report,xo-server-perf-alert"
PLUGINS="all"
# X.509 certificate setup.
PATH_TO_HTTPS_CERT=/etc/ssl/xo/xo.crt
PATH_TO_HTTPS_KEY=/etc/ssl/xo/xo.key

Then run the xo-install.sh choose option 1 autoinstall and your wait for the system to finish. Once complete you will be able to log into the system using the following credentials

user: admin@admin.net
pass: admin

6 Likes

Do you have a guide for getting plug-ins installed on the β€œfree” version of xcp-ng?

That is covered in the video.

Thanks again for a really helpful guide/video.

Would you have any advice on where to read up on how to secure the connection so I can get a padlock in Chrome/browser. I appreciate this is linked to the certificates but not really sure where to start and whether this would need me to make changes to the hosts as well?

I use the Jarli Method – script was developed in conjuction with one of the xcp-ng members – really really easy:

Comes with all the plugins.