Home networking pictures

You ought to live in Australia… I live in what is considered the Greater Sydney Region and I am still on ADSL… usually sit around 14 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up

1 Like

Finally signed up for these forums and came across this post. Guess I can only post 1 picture. Here’s my awesome work in MSPaint :slight_smile:

The Rack Monitoring is a Blinkt unit connected to a raspberry PI with temp sensors. I began making a script that changes the colors of the LEDs in the rack based on conditions. I’m currently working on Discord bot to directly control VMs on the XCP Primary host. I know this isn’t a good practice for production/security. This is my sandbox :slight_smile:

I’ll upload some screenshots of this bot if anyone is interested. Multiple VLANs and I had typed it all out but the post was declined because I’m a noob here. :frowning:

1 Like

Picture of the rack without my MS paint work. Couldn’t post in a single post.

2 Likes

Only been in the new house a few months. Still working on getting everything up and running. Obviously I need to figure out how I’m going to do my wire management in the back.

3 Likes

I see you also got the problem with all connectors on the right side of the switches…

This is how mine looks now, but I am considering adding more patch panels, just to be able to have shorter wires…

2 Likes

I’ll bite.

Really cool in some ways, really crappy in others. :slight_smile:

I am changing mine again again again…

Adding an extra patch panel, so I can avoid the horizontal patch cables.
I also finally 3d printed a proper mount for the RPI 4 pihole.

Keep it simple.

HPE/Aruba 2530 48 Port PoE
Dell R410 NVR/BackUP server
Dell 3880 Opnsense router w/ i350T4V2 NIC

1 Like

my temp network setup that has been doing its thing for 3? years now… nothing more permanent than a temporary solution. all this to say my network is a rats nest right now and yeah…

Mine changed a bit more.

I also switched from the fiber SFP modules to some SFP+, not that it will give me any increase in throughput, but something strange happened…

When I first tried to use the SFP+ modules, my switch refused to work with it, and the UDM Pro was not happy either, even with the port set to 1 Gbps. Then a few weeks ago my connection started to become unstable, when opening a website most of it would load, but some pictures could be corrupted, stuff like that. After trying to restart the UDMP it would not start up again, and the display kept guiding me to how to recover. Instead of going through that, I tried to change from the SFP to the SFP+ modules, just because it has been slow to boot ever since I put the SFP modules in, and with the SFP+ modules it then booted up.

The day after all G3 cams got hit by the bug where they needed to be power cycled, and I thought it was the SFP+ stuff messing up again, so I spend hours trying to figure out what was going on… because all cameras could impossibly fail at the same time, and I could access them directly and view the feed. That was a “fun” weekend…

This one is a couple of months old. Top server is running pfSense, bottom is running TrueNAS Core and the one on the shelf (not in picture) has Windows Server 2022 180 day Evaluation for playing with domain features and such. HP workgroup printer sits on top of the cabinet. I’ve made a few changes since then, but this is the gist of it. Reminds me I need to get a better picture.

Another little upgrade

Next change will probably be the Lenovo Tiny being mounted a prettier way.

why so top heavy,not a good idea.

To whom are you directing that, @g-aitc ?

As long as I’m here, here’s a new photo of mine:

The new server is VMware with WinSvr2022, Win10, and Ubuntu 22 VMs

the one who had all the cables on the floor.

pfSense setup based on small Celeron J4125 “China box” with 4 x 2.5 GB Intel ports. Its a low cost box that works really wellfor me.

WIFI is done with 3 x Unifi AP Pros.

I have a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station in the garage. The garage also houses another Hue bridge that controls outdoor lighting.

Waiting to get a fiber sometime within the next 6 months. However, I do not expect much more in terms of performance as the fiber is properly only going to be GPON (Passive). I may be better of with my existing Docsis 3.1 1000/100 Mbps connection.

1 Like

I am doing a few changes again, just because I like messing around with this. :sweat_smile:

This time I am adding a third patch panel on top, and using some of the ports in the UDMP.

I am still waiting for the blanks for the top panel and the empty holes in the other panels, but they should arrive next week.

1 Like