Can ping sever FQDN but only browse via IP

I am missing something very obvious here but I think have been looking at it for too long now.

I have a unifi controller with a DNS entry in pFsense: unifi-server.mydomain.com => 192.168.10.14.

I can successfully ping both the IP and FQDN.

When I try and browse to it, https://192.168.10.14:8443 works but https://unifi-server.mydomain.com:8443 times out (I have tried incongnito mode and different browsers).

I had the same problem. I determined it was because I had enabled Kea DHCP. When I reverted to ISC DHCP, everything worked as expected. You can safely ignore the warning in pfSense that ISC DHCP has been deprecated. I found out the hard way that it isn’t deprecated yet, and Kea is not ready for prime time yet.

When you ping the FQDN, does it resolve to the same IP (192.168.10.14)? Also, does your browser complain about a cert issue? If so, maybe try a different browser.

Its got me beat. Its the only server/FQDN that this is happing to. Tried both ISC and Kea DHCP to no effect. Also different computer and browsers.

Will delete ALL entries and try again later.

Something strange was gong on so I blew the server away and rebuilt it. Resolving fine now.

Where did you see that? That would be shocking news. Everything I see says ISC DHCP has been long dead, and pfsense should have done this a year ago.

Well, here from Tom Lawrence for one. Kea DHCP is not yet fully featured in pfSense.

See here

OK, I see where you are coming from.

Just to be clear for those who don’t know, ISC DHCP has been deprecated a long time and it is not safe to use. But you can still use it in pfsense, especially given pfsense’s version of Kea is not fully featured yet.

Some browser didn’t use the system DNS, so everthing works fine in CLI but the browser is not able to resolve the domain to the correct IP.

Chrome you can simple test : chrome://net-internals/#dns

EDIT
Maybe you can use some trafficsniffer to check where the DNS request were send to.