About the Business IT/MSP Talk category

This is an open public forum where we can discuss the business side of running a technology services company.

Hello Tom from Seattle area. I got inspired by yore videos, so I’m in proses of starting my own IT company. I’m been working for non profit for over 12 years and helping people with IT problems. Now it’s time to start my own company.
The question I have is: What licenses do you need beside business license?

@LTS_Tom any advice for someone trying to get started in IT services while still working a full time job? I’m young, an open source enthusiast, and motivated. How do I approach small business to get started with one or two clients.

1 Like

Welcome @NiftyMist! I started out long ago in an area that’s decidedly rural, so YMMV. I went the old school way of simply knocking on doors and pitching to whoever would listen to me, eventually I came across someone who needed my services. Rinse and repeat a couple times while always asking for referrals at the end of every engagement. That was like 25 years ago when I was doing more of rental management “handyman” kind of thing. But, about 12 years ago I was able to repeat that process when I started getting into the IT space. And I restarted that process earlier this year as I move into the MSP space.

No matter how you do it, don’t let yourself get discouraged and don’t be afraid to ask for the business! Good luck!:four_leaf_clover::+1:

1 Like

Welcome @pavelxp! The legal requirements will vary greatly from town to town, county to county. The best place to start would be with a local SCORE chapter and/or the local Chamber of Commerce. Also, check with sba.gov for additional resources. That was a huge help when I was trying to figure out what I needed.

Good luck and congratulations on your new journey!

This is great Advice Brother

@NiftyMist I have a full-time job and a small IT Services business. The best way is the word of mouth. I usually let my customers know that I have a full-time job and that I am available over the phone and most of the work will be done after hours or on weekends. So far all of them are understanding and don’t mind.
Good Luck