Xen Orchestra(from sources) and XCP-ng

Xen Orchestra and XCP-ng

Hello - I am relatively new and I’m trying to learn by doing, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I have a small home lab built around a server I built using a Supermicro Motherboard with an LSI HBA and a decent amount of storage. I have previously successfully built a NAS using TrueNAS Scale, but I want to know more.

What I’m trying to understand is how to install both XCP-ng and Xen Orchestra and build Xen Orchestra “from sources”. Am I correct in understanding that first I install XCP-ng (which I have done) and then install XO using quick deploy (not building it) and then create a Debian VM specifically for building/compiling an XO installer (package?) and that after that I would somehow replace the XO quick deploy version with the version that was built by me and my Debian VM running on XCP-ng which is running “inside” (along side?) the quick deploy XO?
Have I got that right? Any pointers to videos, documentation or blog posts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Tom has a recent video

1 Like

You can build XO from sources on any computer or VM you have on hand, and you probably should have at least one XO on a physical device separate from your XCP system. VirtualBox with Debian and running on your laptop is fine. I need to install a debian WSL image and try that.

Also I have run XO on RaspberryPi 400 and Pi4/8gb in the past, you need at least 4gb of ram to make it install the easy way. This was just running Raspian (I think).

I suggest an old HP thinclient like a T630 or newer, put a bigger drive in it and add a little ram. You can run on the 16gb drive that most of these come with, but updating gets a little congested and you’ll need to set the XO to only keep 2 previous versions because you may not have room for keeping three versions (using the ronivay script).

Thank you gentlemen, this is a big help. YouTube drives me bananas with things not being easily sorted by dates - I’ll bet they design it like that to keep you stuck in rabbit holes.