XCP-NG/XO Stroage confusion (raids)

Admittedly I’ve hopped around in time looking at a few of Tom’s videos on XCP-NG setups. I’m trying to get to the point where I have two hosts in a single pool with fairly similar setups so that I can run a few guests on one an be able to backup and migrate when needed. On each system there is an m2 on the MB that I install 8.2x (current) to. Each machine has a couple of 1T SSDs as well. For whatever reason I landed on the thought that I needed to manually mirror these after install (mdadm) then somehow add them into the mix.

Well I do this and I mount them and add them to fstab and reboot and see all is well but of course when I add from XO it says they’re in use. So I redid them and tried simply installing to software raid via the installer and neither Dell box wants to boot to the XCP made software raid no matter what I do within the bios. These are decent spec’ed but older desktop XPSs.

So back to installed on the m2s with manually created raids. Is there a way with cli functions to name the /mnt/raid mounts to be usable as ext storage for the VMs? I already have the pool setup and loathe what would be about the 6th attempt to get this but am starting to lose a little faith.

Thanks for any pointers!

For a start you need three or more machines to have one pool - ha setup

Setup each XCP-NG as seperate machines, and add them into Xen-Orchestra. Having seperate XCP-NG servers, you can still move vm’s between the servers.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUFHudLO1g

Just to confirm, slightly confused

1 Software raid - server does not boot ?
2. Hardware raid - server boots, you want to use the spare space for store ?

what version of xcp-ng are you running

I think you can set HA with only 2 hosts, but it really should have 3 or more hosts for a production environment.

Unless the OP has external shared storage, ha is not going to work even with two hosts

Ok for this topic maybe forget I mentioned a pool. This is really about any of the single hosts having xcp-ng installed on the m2 then me manually creating a software raid and mounting it as an ext4 volume in /mnt

Is there a way to add this as VM thin storage to xcp-ng from the cli?

As for version, it’s from the 8.2 that I downloaded three days ago then updated as of this morning.

Is this what you are looking for
Guides | XCP-ng documentation

So i pull the uuid of the array from mdadm detail and try the command but error ensues.

xe sr-create name-label=“RAID storage” type=ext device-config:device=/dev/md0 shared=false content-type=user host-uuid=0085fb30-0e4b7ff9-cfc9b643-b2acb8fb

The uuid you supplied was invalid.
type: host
uuid: 0085fb30-0e4b7ff9-cfc9b643-b2acb8fb

Never mind. I pulled the m2 and wiped the SSDs and cleared all uefi boot options then installed with software raid on the SSDs. Now i’ll try putting a clean m2 back in for iso and other storage.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Funnily enough this caused problems. I formatted the m2 and mounted it and added to fstab and on reboot the system went into panic mode. Had to remove the drive and fstab entry to get back. Seems temperamental.