XCP-NG VS Proxmox 2022

Sorry – more dumb questions from my side:

The host system of the xcp-ng, with my 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, has something like over 800 GiB free.

I read in the documentation that if I create a local ISO SR, that it would only be like 15 GB or so because it would use the space that’s available on dom0.

Is there then, a way to create a NFS share on the xcp-ng host itself (which would physically reside on the same Samsung 1 TB SSD), and then let dom0 use that as the shared ISO SR?

If so, how would I go about doing that? Is that something that I can do through XOA or would I have to do that in the command line of the xcp-ng host?

(i.e. create the directory, edit /etc/exports, add the entry in there, and then enable NFS service on the host?)

Aight, if that is your main use case, probably neither Proxmox nor XEN Orchestra will make you happy. Or in other words, neither the accompanying standard management tools like Xen-Orchestra or the built-in management interface of Proxmox will probably have enough features to provide such an infrastructure for your end-users to use it as their main workplace, at least not without some additional tweaks. Whether it is better to use XCP_NG / XEN or Proxmox / KVM in the backend would again be a separate discussion. But I’m not an expert when it comes to VDI infrastructure, so I don’t have any product recommendations.

You definitely can import OVA disks to Proxmox, but afaik you have to create the VM manually.

1 Like

I dunno.

I’m just testing both of them out right now.

Like I said, I’m coming from Oracle VirtualBox, so I’m just trying to see what are the pros and cons of each; what I can do, what I can’t do, etc.

I’m neither buy nor selling on any particular solution, so long as in the end, I am able to do what I need to or want to get done, regardless of which hypervisor (or whatever you want to call Oracle VB) I use.

I’m agnostic to the solutions. The one that will be able to help me accomplish what I am currently doing with Oracle VirtualBox will be the solution that I’ll end up deploying. So, if xcp-ng can do it, then I’ll use that. If Proxmox can do it, then I’ll use that.

If they can both do it, then it’s a bit of a toss-up/wash.

If neither can do it, then I stay with Oracle VB.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your help, input, and insights.

1 Like