XCP-NG to TrueNAS

Hello all,

I have a lab setup with 1 XCP-NG host and 1 TrueNAS server currently. Both servers have the Broadcom BCM57810 10 GB NIC (link below)(Amazon.com).
It’s on the HCL for XCP-NG.
XCP-NG sees the card with no issue.
The issue I am having is that I have a storage vlan (42) that I am trying to connect between XCP-NG and TrueNAS. I have a 10GB Unifi Aggregation switch between them with the ports set to ALL. I. have the vlans tagged on the NICs inside of XCP-NG and TrueNAS.

• I can successfully ping TrueNAS on the Storage Network (vlan 42) from my laptop.
  • I can not ping the XCP-NG server from the TrueNAS server or from my laptop, nor can I ping from XCP-NG to the TrueNAS server.

I have watched all of the videos on XCP-NG from both Lawrence Systems YouTube (which are great) as well gone through the documentation and I can’t see anything I missed. See the attached files for my setup.

Not sure why XCP-NG would not be working with the VLAN, as a test trying creating a native network on XCP-NG and set the port on the UniFi to VLAN 42. Of note, Broadcom are the worst cards for using XCP-NG. There are a few posts in the XCP-NG forums regarding them Problems bnx2x BCM57810 10 Gigabit - XCP-ng 7.6 | XCP-ng and XO forum

Thank you for your response. That is what I was afraid of. My initial setup was tagging the ports directly on the switch and I switched them to trunked ports on the switch and tagging the ports on the host hoping that would help.

I spent hours troubleshooting and narrowed it down to that host and possibly those cards. Just wanted to put it out there to see if I was missing something else.

I made the tso change and will test to see. Fortunately this is only a lab environment so if I can get it working, then I’ll be good.

I’ll go back and check your recommendations on 10Gb cards that aren’t Broadcom. I may check eBay since it’s just a lab system to see if I can get a used one.

Any other places you know of that are good for used 10GB cards?

Sometimes Amazon has some, but mostly eBay is the go to place to find them.