XCP-NG - Missing Hard Drives from install

Just built a test bench on a new supermicro 1u. 2x Intel 8-Core, and 64GB memory. The problem is the storage. I’ve got 6x 1TB drives, and 2 SSDs.

I’ve install XCP-NG on a two Raid 1 m.2 SSDs.

No problems, great. During install, I elected to use the 2 other SSDs and the 6x 1TB drives for VM storage. No errors. Great, install done…wait…where is my storage?
I can see the drives in the console by listing them. But, I can’t see them in the SR. Nor can I add them. I also can’t find a guide as to where to add them via the XCP-NG forums. The only thing close is a guide from Xen Server.

Any ideas?

So do you not have a “Local Storage” disk to choose from? or is it that you don’t have all the expected storage space?

You just have to add them manually,

fdisk -l
. Search for the new hard drive in the list. It will be the last on the list and it is indicated as /dev/sdc. c is the position it is in. Generally, it starts at a, and the list continues.
Run the following command from the command line interface:
xe sr-create name-label= shared=false device-config:device= type=lvm

• Name of Storage is the name of the Storage Repository you require
  • Path of the Storage device is the path as noted in the preceding tasks, /dev/sdc)

I have no “Local Storage” option for whatever reason. Running 7.6.0.
Also tried 7.5.0. Also re-tried on a new 7.6.0 image. No dice.

Tried the command and got the following:

“The SR operation cannot be performed because a device underlying the SR is in use by the host”

Just for shits and giggles, have you tried to just add say one or two disks for VM storage?

Also are your 6 x 1TB disks and 2 SSDs running in HBA mode? or running off a RAID card as a virtual disk?

Anytime I’ve done mixed drives, I’ve created two virtual disks off the RAID card, and then selected both for VM storage, and it presents a single Local Storage object, that just combines the sizes of the two virtual disks together into one pool of storage. This is how the default installer should work, and you can add additional Local Storage objects via CLI.

They were on RAID card. Apparently the newer 3ware cards aren’t currently supported. I had to find a spare h710 raid controller. Seems to work fine.

Back from the dead. New XCP-NG 8.1 install. Machine has a 120GB NVME boot volume and a 1TB NVME that I planned to use for local VM storage (the rest of the VMs will be on the SAN when I get it up and going).

During the install it asked me if I wanted to use both drives for storage. I said yes, and it installed.

In XCP-NG Center, I only see one local SR, and it has just the 120GB of storage total. My 1TB is not listed.

I can see the drive with fdisk -l, and when I try to use the xe command to add the sr, I get the same error as above:

xe sr-create name-label=1TBNVME shared=false device-config:device=/dev/nvme1n1 type=lvm content-type=user
The SR operation cannot be performed because a device underlying the SR is in use by the server.

What gives?