XCP_NG Local storage issue

Hi,
I have a legend DELL PE2950 (2 * quad core with 32 gb) on which I am trying out xcp-ng. I have 3 SATA drives in them

1. 1 TB
  2. 1 TB
  3. 2 TB
    I used one of the 1 tb drive during the USB installation (The other 2 drives i want to install freenas on CXP and use them) . Installation went through alright.
    During the installation I used the default selection for storage.

Please let me know what am i missing.

My storage drive does not show up. This is where I installed XCP-NG server.

When I try to create a vm and give 10 GB. The error is as follows:
This drive does not have enough space.

When i check from CLI the drives attached shows up.

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: gpt
Disk identifier: 69722937-7B28-46F4-8AA4-FD28E9FAFF47

Start End Size Type Name

1 46139392 83888127 18G Microsoft basic
2 8390656 46139391 18G Microsoft basic
3 87033856 1953525134 890G Linux LVM
4 83888128 84936703 512M BIOS boot
5 2048 8390655 4G Microsoft basic
6 84936704 87033855 1G Linux swap

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Hi Skunniyur

You have to add the new hard disk manualy.
Here is a very small tutorial, from the people of Help Linux HelpLinux.
Remember XCP-ng is a fork of XenServer. For searching documentation or help is very usefull.

Tom make a video a few weeks ago Xenserver Hard Drive / Whole Disk Passthrough with XCP-NG.
In case you need.

Good luck for you.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the quick response.

Why am I not able to see or use the 1 TB HDD in which installed the server. Are you saying the 900 odd gb is unusable?
If not how do I make use of it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Samba.

Hi again
I installed on 4 host XCP-ng and didn’t had to do anything extra in the main hard disk. In the main hard disk i have VMs running in this momment. Sorry for the misunderstood.
Tom show how to install XCP-ng. Maybe you missed a step on the installation. The installation are in the first 15 minutes.

I hope you can solve your problem. Good Luck !

Hey,
I reinstalled the xcp 8.0 again and selected ext option. But this still does not show the unused space as part of my local storage repo.

Hi

I use in this moment XCP-ng v7.4. I don’t know if there is a bug or something like that.
XCP-ng have a forum like this, and is very useful. Sorry about i can’t help to you to fix your problem.

Good luck to you.

I’ve never used XCP-NG itself, but I use Citrix XenServer a ton at work, but I think most of it is very similar.

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you never assigned storage for VMs during install. For a standard install, You choose a storage volume for the OS (XCP-NG) and then another volume(s) for VM storage for local drives. Of course you can add iSCSI and NFS paths after the install is done. By default, any extra space on the OS volume is unavailable for VM storage/use. You can create some local volumes via the command line if you want, but out of the box, that space is not available.

I usually assign about 200 gb (probably still overkill) for the OS, and the remainder of my storage on each server for VM use/storage. Due to our use case, we have all VMs on local storage.

How did u do this? Did u had an extra hdd for vm? If not.

I want you use the remaining storage after the install as local storage like you have done. Cab you tell me how?

They are different volumes. So for instance I usually have 4 physical disks in which I create 2 virtual volumes on the Dell PERC, one volume is for OS, the other for VMs. The installer essentially sees two different “drives”

Had the same issue during a recent install of XCP-NG 8.1. The installer only creates enough partitions to install the XCP-NG software. You have to manually login to your server and add another partition to your 1TB drive to use it for local storage. In my case, I had to add a 7th partition that filled up the remaining space on my SSD. Here is what I had to do:

fdisk /dev/sda (create new partition that fills the remaining part of the SSD)
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda7
mkdir -p /var/opt/xen/Local_SR
mount /dev/sda7 /var/opt/xen/Local_SR
xe sr-create name-label=Local_SR type=SR device-config:location=/var/opt/xen/Local_SR device-config:legacy_mode=true content-type=sr

Try that and let me know if it works. I did the above for the ISO repository but changed the above commands to work with storage repository (SR).

Hi,
I formatted all the disks to with single partition using kali live and re-installed 8.1. This time i selected ext instead of LVM during installation. The installation allocated local SR automatically after the OS allocation.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

I’m having the same issue I watched the video 4 times, and I only see him using one drive… I rinstalled 4 or 5 times thinking its user error I even pri wiped the drive and useda different drive…

Every time I have NO Local Storage drive
There is No space To add the install took it all so what give’s ?..
This stuff Drive me MAD when it should be working and it just is nt 8( …

If any one has a solution i would appreciate it…

Well here’s and update I orderd a 4 port Network card for this server, I got it today my case is a little cramp so I moved to video card from slot one to PCI slot two, I also switched videos card from a Radeon HD 5670 to a HD 7750…
I put the Network card into the first PCI slot. I reinstalled and to my suprize I now have a local storage !!!
Conflict maybe not sure… but some Thing was preventing it …

Does anyone know why the installer creates 2 18GB Microsoft Basic partitions? Are these partitions being used for something?