Xcp-ng installer fails to run

There is an alternate kernel mentioned that makes Marvell stuff work, but it was alsi mentioned in regards to USB NICs Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) | XCP-ng documentation

Not sure if that will help you, I haven’t used any Marvell stuff in a while.

Interesting thread. I have a 12th Gen. I got it working with Andrews ISO … BUT … there are still issues with graphics. While it installs (both v2 and v3) XCP-NG does not properly detect the GPU. While most VM’s do not care, VMs that do any sort of graphics probing (e.g. my CCTV VM) crash.

I also tried the 8.3 XCP-NG alpha. Installs great, detects everything except the GPU.

I’ve had the same on N5105 and 1260P.

Interesting.
@daninmanchester What computer? What OS is your CCTV VM running, & what software?
Now that you mention it, I’ve noticed that too. It does not detect the hardware, so I can’t add any vGPU to a VM (which is probably why Windows is laggy). Of course, the vGPU thing could just be me, as I don’t have a video card installed in the PCI slot yet.

I was hoping to use the Windows VM as my PC (or at least run Factory I/O), but the lag shot that idea down as soon as I first logged in. lol. I’ll need to try again once I get my graphics card.

I can at least still use it for my non-graphics intensive software (such as ScanSnap).

It is Blue Iris. I’m guessing it is probing for hardware acceleration and borking out. Anyway I’ve been doing a lot more digging this afternoon and it’s not great news …

So basically XCP-NG i915 driver won’t work with 12th Gen even if you try and force it.
Even if it did, since 11th (maybe 10th gen) Intel stopped supporting GVT-g.
They have moved to SR-IOV which is good!
BUT, I can only find highly experimental drivers.

I also tried passing the entire Iris graphics through and that failed. For whatever reason windows didnt like it.

OK, graphics card it is (and pray it works).

1 Like

What card are you thinking of and how will you attach it?
USB 3.2 or an M.2 riser?

By the way … do you actually need graphics pass through?

If not the XCP-NG 8.3 alpha or one of Andrews NUC builds will get you past the black screen : Andrew's XCP-ng page

It’s just you cant get the benefit of your GPU (beyond using it for the console).

I would have to research the card. As for how the NUC 12 Extreme, has a PCIx16 slot specifically for a graphics card.

Andrew’s v3 build worked for me. (v2 didn’t detect either of my network interfaces).

That being said, v3 only recognized the Intel 2.5G interface, not the Marvell 10G interface.

I’m hoping 8.3 will add support for my 10G interface as well (though I won’t be holding my breath).

Just adding a note to this about a more recent finding. I found that my crashing windows VM worked when I created a 32 bit VM. I have no idea why this might be , but I still think it relates to how windows / hyper-visor are interacting when it comes to graphics.

What card are you trying to pass through? Not all nVidia cards allow you to use them in a VM, but most of the 3xxx and newer are now allowed. All the expensive Quadro cards and probably RTX allow passthrough. I can’t remember what AMD allows.

Video is discreet. No video card installed.

Update:

tldr: Don’t use a NUC 10 Extreme. At best, it’s unreliable. And you need to use a specially modified ISO just to get the Intel adapter and video to work.

After running without issues until now, I had to shutdown my computers due to my power company needing to kill power to replace a power pole.

When I turned my NUC 12 Extreme back on, I found that it was no longer getting its IP address. I set a static IP via pfSense. It still showed my one working ethernet adapter, and my 2 configured VLANs.

As a last ditch effort, I tried the “emergency Network Reset”. Now my only recognized adapter is not even detected.

If I can find in stock, I have 2 Supermicro rackmout units I’m looking at. Then just repurpose that as a gaming machine (I was hoping to have a Windows VM for gaming).

In addition, since it also hosted my UniFi Controller, I’m now trying to get it installed on one of my Pi 4s (not going well, but story for a different topic). That’s what I get for not using a proper server. lol

Which Supermicro? In general I wouldn’t expect any issues with them, but worth a check.

I was thinking either:

SYS-510D-10C-FN6P
or
SYS-E300-12D-10CN6P

I found a place for the E300, but it is out of stock, and couldn’t find the 510D at all.

All of the online retailers that sold Supermicro (at least in Canada) were sold out. Likely due to chip shortages, if I had to guess.

In the meantime, I have 2 Raspberry Pi’s. One i will setup as a Pi-Hole DNS server, will be my UniFi Controller.

And thanks to UniFi requiring such old versions of Openjdk and mongodb, I’m having a hell of a time getting it installed. I haven’t been able to install Bullseye and adding the old Stretch repos to work, so I’m going to try installing Stretch, and upgrade (holding back mongodb and openjdk-8) to see if i can get it working that way.

I can’t understand why they don’t update their dependency. Especially from a security standpoint. As well as a functionality standpoint, since their UniFiOS consols aren’t able to handle multi-site. And their Dream Machines aren’t as capable as pfSense or OPNsense (especially with Zenarmor installed).

For a home lab, I’d look at used servers, Supermicro X9 is the oldest I’d currently look at. Even x10 is getting pretty old, I have a failed server that was built in 2016 on an X10 series.

One big limitation I have is the server rack I acquired (for free) is only 12-7/8" deep, so only shallow single-socket servers will fit. Which is why I’m looking at those. From the pics of x9 and x10, they look like they would be too big.

Thanks for the idea of looking for used, though.

There are some X11 servers that are 12 deep and single processor like X11SSH, only issue is they take Xeon E3 or Core i3 processor so not very powerful. I have a couple of these and they are decent for one thing at a time type use with only 4 cores (4 threads) and around 16GB.

There may be some older AMD servers in small sizes that might be useful, check the supported hardware and see how far back the AMD processors will go.

Also look at ASUS servers and maybe some other used brands, seems there should be some other short servers with decent processors and RAM. Look at the Hyve stuff on ebay, many/most are Supermicro X9 which is the oldest I would even consider at this moment.