XCP-NG in need of inspiration

Put together a small home lab. I9-9900k 128Gb RAM GTX-1080 and a i5-13600k 64Gb (no gpu), each running 8.3 B2 (yeah living dangerously). ON teh side a small i5660k running ubuntu and a few KVM vm’s (pfsense,and some home telemetry) as well as a TrueNAS-SCALE NFS server for common storage. Runnon XO-From Sources and hosting on the 13600-k (probably maybe should run on stand alone KVM linux host??). ll is working great, can vmotion and all that. So far so good. There are two areas Id like to explore but could use some inspiration.
1: Id like to see what I can do with the GPU. I ran a VM with GPU passthrough and that was working fine and the Guest VM (ubuntu 2204) saw it and installed teh drivers. Cool, what ca I do with it. THinking transcoding jobs, data analytics (play with some LLM or ML stuff, small stuff as its only a single gtx 1080)
2: OVS and vxlan between nodes. VRF and routing in the OVS stack? How does XCP-NG play with OVS and overlay networking.

3: Accelerated Remote Desktop. Can teh GPu be used to accelerate RDP sessions. I tried this a bit with Ubuntu and XRDP but i was not able to get it off the ground. Im assuming windows is more straight forward. Is it worth it, as in how well is the session accelerated.

Ubuntu uses Wayland by default so maybe that was part of the problem? I have not used a Ubuntu desktop in a while so I can not do more troubleshooting off the top of my head.

On my Proxmox system I setup a VFIO desktop. First passed though the GPU and firmware followed by the USB controllers and now I have a functioning desktop.

If you want a Linux XRDP I would base it around Pop OS personally. You will need to do some additional setup and configuration but the UI experience is pretty good and I personally like it better that Ubuntu. My only complaint is that the Pop shop (App store) is kind of a mess from a stability and resource usage perspective.

Here is a guide for it: https://lemmy.zip/post/11458013

1 Like