Wireless Survey Software/Hardware

I’ve seen various videos where they discuss Ubiquiti and showing the controller software as well as talking about sites they setup and configured. I haven’t run across them discussing what they use to survey before doing the install. Or even to survey an existing install that isn’t adequate and has to be upgraded. I’ve heard of Netscout Aircheck G2 and various software applications that gather wireless data. Another question is when hardware isn’t already in place what is the best way to find where to put each AP. Would love to hear how people currently do it efficiently and effectively.

1 Like

Tom has a video on this very subject. Set up a wireless net where none exists with a laptop and place ACs and then measure signal strength with another laptop or tablet, phone. On Android there is Fing, ezNetScan,WiFiman, WIGLWWiFI. You’ll get the lay of the land as well as if there will be interference from other WiFi nets.

Awesome. I hoped he would but the keywords I searched didn’t find it. I’ll search again but if you have the link I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

@centaur5
This is a link to one of Tom’s videos explaining how he does WiFi site surveys https://www.lawrencesystems.com/client-project-planning-how-we-keep-700-bowlers-wifi-signals-out-of-the-gutter-with-unifi/
If you go to his company web site and look through the blogs you will find others. Very practical approach for gathering real world data.

Okay thanks. I actually watched that video 2 months ago when he released it. I’m aware he’s using Ubiquiti’s software to analyze heat maps and such so does he just drag a cable around the suite putting them approximately where they’ll go and analyze the data and move them as it doesn’t look good? Do laptops or other devices go to corners of the building to see that it’s covered? Is there a more efficient way than walking the premises over and over after moving the AP to a new spot, channel, or transmission level?

Surveys are normally done after business hours, find the areas of drop out weak signals with laptop, tablet or phone in various spots. What Tom does is use his Unify access points maybe on a mesh setup to see if there is improvement and where to place. Most WiFi problems are caused by to few access points resulting in attenuated signals or by interference from other WiFi signals, other RF interference. Other factors to consider are building construction steel beams, studs, floor pans, internal masonry walls, electrical. Even being in the landing path of an airport can interfere with WiFi. Been there done that.