WireGuard Site to Multi Site

Hello everyone,

I saw Mr. Tom’s video on youtube for Site to Site WireGuard. How about site to multisite ? Anyone knows what’s needed to setup 1 central and 3 sites configuration ? Different tunnel for each site, different port for each site or both ?

Seems that there is a problem with 3 peers on same tunnel, it routes always to the first peer. (There is no route through the WireGuard virtual interface to all peers.

Build separate WG tunnels for each site.

1 Like

Hi, I tried to do that too. I had site A, site B and site C. Site A to B was OK, But then suddenly the ‘internet’ even went down on site C… !!!

Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_gLPyipFkk

I have configured a main site with two remote sites, using the same wireguard tunnel at the main site, with two peers.

One thing, on reboot the wireguard service does not always start - you have to create a cron job, and setup watchdog (last post)

How to fix broken site-to-site Wireguard tunnels on 2.7/22.05 and onwards | Netgate Forum

Try Tailscale

Even a primate like me can set it up. Works automagically!

Slightly related but was trying to get Tailscale to work with PFSense 23.09 and there’s a current bug that’s meaning Outbound NAT for Tailscale will not work.

Tailscale Address option is missing in Translation Address section under Firewall/NAT/Outbound

I don’t seem to have an issue on 2.7.1, but then I downgraded from 23.05.1 to 2.7.0

Any reason why separate tunnels are better? I have a multi site client, and each site is a peer on a common fireguard tunnel. It’s been working fine so far. Its also worked great for transitioning them from a hub and spoke setup to a partial mesh.
Granted… it’s 3 years later now :smiley: I didn’t build this setup until 23.01 came out. Perhaps Wireguard in pfSense works better now than it used to.

So you are using the same cert for each peer? And I guess the same AllowedIPs list?

I am curious what other people think about this setup. It’s not how I have done it (nor would do now), but I guess it would work. You could still fw things off based on the gateway IP in the wg tunnel, so I guess the common cert might not be that big of deal.