Windows Update not working

I had to re-install Windows 8.1 Pro as with the previous install the computer would not go into sleep mode.

On the new installation Windows Update will not work. I get error message “8024200D Windows Update ran into a problem”. How kind of them to give so much information.

Searching the Internet it appears loads of people get this problem but none of what I have found helps fix it.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I’ve never seen this error before and nothing I try makes any difference.

Yes, I know I should be using Linux but I have a load of Windows software that I need to use.

You can still updated to Win10 if you have a working Win7/Win8 key. Download the media creation tool and create a bootable usb stick with it. When you go to install, don’t initially enter your serial key - but be sure to select the correct software version (ie home or pro). Once you get booted into windows you can then enter you key and activate

I know but I have no interest in running W10 and I’m more concerned as to why this update is not working.

@LeoL, I remember dealing with a similar issue with a new Win10 build and I believe renaming the C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder fixed the issue. Make sure to stop the update service first and restart after the renaming of the folder.

Not sure if it helps but try this it will clear out the windows update cache and force any cached (but not installed) updates to re-download next time you run windows update

Open a Admin command prompt or Powershell and run

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If an updated half installed and caused windows to not boot then load a recovery console from say a boot disc and try

dism /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Make sure to replace D: with the drive letter your Windows partition is assigned in the recovery console.

Not sure if this will fix your issue but i would try the first option before the second as the second option reverts changes from the most recent update that half installed or installed incorrectly

If you need to be able to find the correct drive letter for the second option you can run this from the recover console

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

Its not a whole lot to go on but it may help

1 Like