Windows Server 2019 Datacenter license activation on Proxmox/XCP-NG?

Have a license of Windows 2019 Datacenter edition, and would like to know how does the activating work when using Proxmox or XCP-NG as the hypervisor?
Do you just activate using the same license key, or is there another method?

Googling doesn’t really provide much info.

Really would appreciate if someone can explain this or point me in the right direction.

The license should work the same as it does normally, more information here

Yes, you just use the same key.

Thank you. I thought there was a more complicated way as it’s Microsoft.

1 Like

Is the license an OEM version - Dell, HP , etc if so you may have issues as it looks at the bios of the machine to confirm you are installing the license on the correct manufacture

If you’ve purchased the license from Microsoft with software assurance (SA) you can also request a KMS key and use that on a host to license all of the VMs

We’re looking at purchasing 3 supermicro server’s from the local distributor here in Australia, and some OEM datacenter licenses.
We have a major upgrade planned, and this is the last piece of the puzzle I need to know in order to move forward.
So I’m assuming they are generic OEM licenses.

If you want to know for sure, you should probably ask the vendor of your servers, the reseller or Microsoft and not rely on to statements in a forum. Also, laws regarding licensing agreements are different in different countries. Just because a product or a license does work in a certain environment or for a certain use case, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is legal to use it that way. In a home lab, this is probably never going to be a problem, but for a business, I would want to know for sure.