Why We use Synology and Some of the Solutions They Offer in 2020

Depends on on how you define company, banks won’t use them, small businesses will.

If Synology use’s LUKS encryption, how can it be cracked without the key ?

Usually these devices have a kensignton lock, obviously they can pull out the drives.

Must admit I use a QNAP, believing even if someone would steal the unit or the disks they would not be able to access the data, after a power cycle, the disks need to be decrypted (8 times in my case with 8 different keys for 8 bays).

Most of these NAS’s (especially QNAP) are attacked online, I think almost no one cares about the data except the owner, LOL can’t imagine anyone wanting to steal my 20 years of accumulated project management knowledge and work, though if I lost it I would not be able to replace it.

I wasn’t talking about cracking it. The thing is:
If you want to use the encrypted space in a modern way there can’t be restrictions like smaller file names than on the system you are copying from, IMO.
So in that scenario you can’t use encryption in the first place which means with the press of a button you can gain admin access to everything in 4 seconds.
Of course banks don’t use them, which is my point: These things probably sit out in the open in someone’s apartment or small office and a physical break in is a worst case scenario if that thing gets stolen.
I think this would be well worth mentioning and I’m not surprised it’s not on the front page of the Synology website. But it’s worth considering before buying.

P.

If that is the case then that’s a bit of a faux pas if true, but I’m having a hard time believing it. I did some testing when setting up my second QNAP NAS along these lines, each time the disks needed to be decrypted.

Though I know with each new firmware update things can change.

Well it is true. The Synology will give you a warning that the encrypted volume is 143 characters max (ASCII that is) and might go down to as low as 40 (!!!) if you’re using Chinese for file names.
It’s also in the documentation but you have to look for it.

My translation of the above means: It only takes a pencil to get into a Synology NAS.

But I’m happy to be proven wrong. I do like what these boxes offer for the price. But I can’t use them. The risk is just too high.

Another related issue is that their Active Backup for Business is not stored on encrypted partitions but is on their roadmap to be a feature in a future release.

1 Like

How suitable is a “Synology RackStation RS1619xs+” with Exos hard drives as a video server?

My installation has 64 x IP cameras (4K). The cameras are motion activated, not constantly flooding the network. I am planning to use the Synology Surveillance Station software. The plan is to dedicate one of the client’s static IPs to this video network. It will have its own router and POE switches (UniFi Pro Gen 2).

What am I to be aware of? Are clients loving it? Can this Synology handle that many cameras? Would the SSD cache make a difference? It sells with 8GB RAM, what is the minimum required for smooth playback?

Lastly - I think you’ve recommended, in one of the many videos I’ve watched, an integrator where one could order a pre-configured Synology with, the RAM, HDD and the latest DSM already installed. Couldn’t find that mention. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance - Nir.
crossFrame IT Solutions

I came here with the same question. I am new to Synology and I need a simple solution for ~50 IP cameras (1080p) and file backup for Google Drive. @cfm did you get the RS1619xs+?