Where do I go for help with pop os?

I’ve been using pop os for a year or two now and it’s been great. In the past couple of weeks I’ve been having random drops on the wifi. My laptop is the only thing that is having issues. So I’m trying to figure out if it’s a hardware or software issue. Since I’d rather not load up Windows to get manufacturer support, I’d like to rule out the OS first. However, I can’t find a support forum for pop os. Where is the best place to go for help?

WHat type of router do you have? Believe it or not, I had a similar issue once and it was my router only impacted one computer. I could not believe it!

The way I figured it out was try my computer on a different Wifi network outside my house.

When the drops occur you can run dmesg in a terminal and see if there are any wifi adapter related error messages.

1 Like

@Thedannymullen I’m using pfsense for the router and a Unifi AC-Pro for the AP. I didn’t use my laptop a ton at home before this whole work from home thing started, but I was able to use it for a week or two before the issues started. I’ve been using it on other networks for months without any issues as well.

@LTS_Tom I will have to give that a try.

1 Like

Sounds like a laptop issue from your description. I would check out dmesg and see if you find anything.

I was thinking it was hardware before, but now I"m pretty much positive. There was nothing to do with the wireless card running dmesg, just ufw and my wireless mouse. This isn’t the greatest results for a ping test.
8745 packets transmitted, 8198 received, 6.255% packet loss, time 8766327ms

Wow quite a loss! Have you checked your wireless card is seated in the laptop I have had them come loose.

I’ll try to remember to take a look at that. I’ll probably need to throw the original drive in to test with an approved OS.

1 Like