What should I do before changing my modem/router to bridge mode

Hi everyone :wave:

I have a very noob question, but I would appreciate your help as I screwed up my network in the past because of this.

I have a modem/router device from my ISP. at the moment it is NOT in bridge mode (because my previous router didn’t have the option so my network is setup according to that). Now I have the option to change it to bridge.

My modem/Router is connected to the internet and my UDM is connected to it with IP 192.169.1.10
My UDM default IP range is 192.168.2.x and I have a few VLANs as well.

My question is - What do I need to do so when I change my modem/router to bridge mode I don’t lose access to my unifi.

Last time I did it, I lost access to the UDM, freaked out and reset everything to get it to work :man_shrugging:.

Thanks!

Change the WAN interface to DHCP instead of the address you assigned to it and you should be fine…

Btw 192.169.0.0 is a public IP range and should not be used in a local network.

Changing the router to bridge mode, should not affect accessing the UDM as you should be accessing the UDM via the lan ip address.

Sorry, its a type error. I meant 192.168.1.10 :slight_smile:

Maybe I miss understood the problem last time, I just couldn’t figure out a way to log in o my UDM

I can’t find a way to change it. It seems like it is just set. My UDM is already my DHCP server.
I am using the latest version of Unifi UDM.

And this is my default VLAN. I also have a guest, IOT and main VLAN’s and the are all basically identical to this one. Their address are in the ranges of 192.168.2.x, 192.168.22.x, 192.168.33.x, 192.168.44.x
Not sure if I am missing anything.

As far as I can tell from the screenshots, the WAN interface is already set to DHCP, so you don’t have to change anything.

Currently your ISP is serving a public IP address to your ISP router and the ISP router is serving a private IP address (192.168.1.10) to the WAN interface of your UDM. If you now go and switch the ISP router into bridge mode, the public IP address should be served directly to the WAN interface of your UDM. Or in other words: Instead of 192.168.1.10 like in your first screenshot, you should then see the public IP address of your internet connection in the Internet section of your UDM. And as @Paul already said, this should not affect the LAN side of the UDM in any way.