Greetings, new to the forum. Have had many different small NAS and server builds in the past. Decided to go big, why not:
- Fractal Design Node 804 Case
- Supermicro MBD-X11SCH-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard (8 x sata ports)
- Intel Xenon E-2146G Processor 12M Cache 3.5GHZ FC-LGA14C MM974864 (6 core)
- 4 x Crucial Server Memory 16GB DDR4 DIMM 288-pin - 2666 MHz / PC4-21300 - CL19-1.2 V - unbuffered - ECC (64GB total)
- Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown)
- 8 x 8TB WD Red Pro NAS Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD8003FFBX (64GB total)
- Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 135mm FDB Fan Power On Self Tester PS
- 2 x WD_Black 250GB SN750 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS250G3X0C (1 for boot, 1 for cache or both boot in Raid 1)
- Replaced all case stock fans as follows, and plugged them into MB (not the case rigged 3-pin fan board, I removed it):
(a) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 3000 RPM (120mm, Black) for right front intake fan blowing over “drive side”
(b) Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) for left front intake fan blowing over “MB side”
© Noctua NF-A14 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (140mm, Brown) for right rear exhaust (upper)
(d) Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) for left rear exhaust (lower)
As to the purpose of the box (2-3 users max): NAS (archival storage), Plex, several VMs, OpenVPN, Backup, PXE booting other machines.
Box is powering up and posting! Yeah. Pics to come later after adequate cable management and aesthetics.
Any hardware comments/critiques appreciated.
I am dumbfounded at all the BIOS options on this board, and have downloaded the 100+ page MB manual. (Suggestions on settings appreciated)
Intend to do link aggregation. I also have a 4tb Samsung SSD which I may purchase a PCIE controller for and use for something (what?)
I know many may say I over-did it (especially on the PS), but I wanted good quality and a machine I can hope to get long use out of.
I believe TrueNas is the way to go here. I am little concerned about the VMs and wonder if I should do this as Proxmox first, then TrueNAS as a VM?
All comments and suggestion much appreciated. I’m a lot better at building than I am setup. I’ve looked at numerous Youtube vids.
Thanks and I appreciate all constructive input. I do realize this all depends on preference and intended use–it’s me and a few others here at home with a lot of archival data and pics and docs, etc. Small home biz as well in place. Would love to use a bunch of cheap machines and PXE boot them.
Structuring the NAS will be important, as well. Obviously ZFS, I’m thinking 4x8=32gb for two separate pools. Have offsite storage via reputable provider to get my 3-2-1 in place.
Just wondering any opinions and ideas on viability of hardware setup as well as how to proceed as a TrueNAS install. Nevermind the nitpicky particulars, how would you configure this if it were yours?
Thanks in advance!