VPN Cut Outs and Weak Bandwidth

Hey all,

To start, my setup may be a overly complicated for home use but my primary reason is to learn with the best possible hands on experience. I have two networks, site A which contains my servers (nvr, smb nas, adds, and some other virtual machines) site b is 300mi away consisting primarily of clients. B is connected to A via p2p open vpn with the help of Lawrence’s awesome video, reason is for access to servers without having vpn clients on every device and to trick hulu location. Both routers are running PFsense with adequate hardware, i think. Load hasn’t passed 8%

Site A: Intel® Core™ i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
4 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s) x 2 hardware threads
AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active)
8GB RAM
Site B: AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4G
2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active)
8GB RAM

While site A internet is a depressing 30mbps up, down is around 800. B’s connection is 1000 symmetrical. Both networks have vlans to aid in vpn directing and device categorization. Lastly, A is running PFblockerng which works flawlessly while on location. However, when remote, sometimes sites fail to load. I have reason to believe it is a bandwidth issue, for example viewing cameras on XProtect causes connection error on edge. Something even as basic as zoom also causes this. While the instant response is probably the bad upload speed at A, even doing smb transfers from b to a prove to be extremely slow and that only relies on download speed of A, at least I think.

What I’m trying to solve here is if there is a config issue on either of my vpns. Some help would be appreciated please. If you require any more info please let me know. I may have typed this with very basic terms so I may come off as a newb but I have spent decent time in networking, it was even my job until covid and the place shut down temporarily. Sorry for the essay.

I have a video about changing ciphers and some of the speed changes here https://youtu.be/_YZvSXo1hps

You said Hulu and running streaming services can put a strain on VPN so check the CPU load and bandwidth usage while having issues.