VPN Connection Intermittently Causing DNS Failure

Hello all,

Hopefully you can help my diagnose a DNS issues I am having which is seemingly related to my VPN connection. Hopefully posted in the right section, was not sure whether it should live in DNS or OpenVPN section, so I took a gamble.

I currently have a split setup, with respects to only select LAN clients going out over the internet via the VPN while others go over the WAN. What I have noticed is that intermittently my internet will fail with respects to DNS resolution, no particular timing to it, but it is definitely related to the VPN connected. If I disconnect the VPN, DNS resolution will start to work again. Sometimes when I reconnect the VPN, it will behave for a few days before causing DNS issues again, or it can happen immediately once connected.

When checking the logs, at the time that DNS starts becoming an issue I get the below, so I am within reason, confident it is related to this event.

Perhaps it is related to the “dyndns” entry ?

I have the VPN configured to NOT pull DNS servers in VPN>OpenVPN>Clients and I have DNS forwarding enabled in Services>DNS Resolver>General Settings to ensure that all clients looking for DNS (which includes OpenVPN) to be directed to the DNS servers as configured in System>General Setup Screenshots as below referencing my configuration.

While I would imagine this is not relevant, I have the below Firewall rules for the VPN.

Floating Rule - VPN Killswitch

LAN Rules - One rule for directing specific LAN Alias over VPN, the other to direct all other LAN traffic over WAN.

DNS Rule

Lastly, in my Firewall rules I have following rule for DNS, I will be honest, I am not sure if this should even exist/required. I have not tested disabling it yet to see if it resolves my issues. Comments welcome

Let me know if any further information is required.

Many thanks in advance,
P