VLANs and RADIUS

I am wanting to change my network around and need some guidance. I want to remove the CAT6 cables running up and down my stairs, but some of the devices connected to not have a wifi option. I have tried powerline but they are very slow and unstable, so my next idea was to do something link this using my 3 NanoHD APs.

pfSense -> D-Link Smart Managed Switch -> NanoHD 1 -> wifi 5GHz Signal -> NanoHD 2 -> D-Link Smart Managed Switch -> devices

pfSense -> D-Link Smart Managed Switch -> NanoHD 1 -> wifi 5GHz Signal -> NanoHD 3 -> D-Link Smart Managed Switch -> devices

In order to do this I need to enable uplink connectivity monitor, the problem is I am using 5 SSIDs and you can have only 4 in use when using this feature.

I read somewhere that I could install a RADIUS server on pfsense and then using the MAC address of a device assign it to a specific VLAN from there so that I can still have separate networks for say my printers and IP cameras.

1. How do I go about setting up the RADIUS server on pfSense and configuring it to move specified MAC addresses over to a specific VLAN?

2. Will this work for any device connected to pfSense or will it only work for wireless devices?

3. Do I have to make any changes to the way Unifi Controller is working to make it use the RADIUS server or is it all internal to pfSense?

1 Like

So I am wondering if this is possible, can I not take my managed switches and remove all LAN tags and just make them essentially an unmanged switch and then using Free RADIUS on my pfSense install have it assign VLANS based on mac addresses?

Also I want to setup a virtual install of what I am planning on virtualbox, how would I configure pfSense or other software with a GUI to work as a managed switch for testing purposes?

1 Like