VLAN from Smart switch to unmanged switch

Hi,

I configured Crap network Vlan 70 and goes to CISCO Switch then goes to TP Link SG108E, then I configured 802.1Q for VLAN70 to port 5 which goes to Dlink unmanaged switch.

There are 3 devices connected and only one takes ipaddress from Crap Network, rest have not taken ip address. Is there anything I am missing.

Regards,
Abhay

What’s the config on the interface? Also, do you have a DHCP server on VLAN70?

1 Like

Yes PFsense is configured for DHCP Server, one device could get ip address.

On the port 5 I configured Vlan 70 as untagged and Port 1 as tagged (which is trunk port). On Cisco its configured as trunk port on which TP Link SG108E is connected.

I would configure the port for the TP link switch to access vlan 70.

Hey I have no clue how to exactly setup your switch, however from what I understand – one a singe port only one VLAN can be untagged and the rest need to be tagged.

I’m looking at your diagram – at the bottom three lines
VLAN 70 is associated with ports 1 and 5. Its untagged on Port 5 and Tagged on Port 1

VLAN 10 is associated with Ports 1, 3, and 4. Untagged on Ports 3 and 4 and Tagged on Port 1
VLAN1 (default VLAN) has port members 1-8. However I think you have all those designated as Untagged for VLAN 1. I’m not sure how you want to configure your network and could be totally reading the graph wrong, however I think
VLAN 1 needs to be Tagged for ports 3,4,5 and Untagged for ports 1,2,6,7,8 or just have VLAN 1 be only a member of ports 1,2,6,7,8.

1 Like

In TP-Link SG108E, Vlan1 entry is by default and you cant change or delete that.

Tom has a video on this and explains about vlan1 https://youtu.be/5ohLAFHnOHg

This is a Smart Switch so things are littile different, and I was able to successfully configure and get Vlan 10 and Vlan 70 talk to there DHCP server.

My issue is on port 5 I connect unmannged switch which is connected to my 2 Solar Inverter and one Controller and needs to be on Vlan 70 network. But only one device i.e controller is able to get ipaddress but 2 Solar Inverter does not get ipaddress.

As I understand till the packet reaches TP-Link they can remain untaged (unmanaged) and then when TP-Link sends packets to trunk port would add Vlan ID, in that case It should have worked.

I will try to add another unmanaged switch to port 3 and see if even that behaves like that.

A trunk port will only tag traffic if you setup a native VLAN for it. Whenever you have an unmanaged switch (no VLAN assignments), then all the devices plugged into that switch will be devices on the same network/VLAN. That VLAN is defined by the config you put on the uplink port. One thing I didn’t mention is STP though. There is a good chance that the unmanaged switch is sending BPDUs via the uplink port so setting up a trunk port with a native VLAN of VLAN 70 is probably the best way to get this working. You could also filter BPDUs on an access port, but either way should work.

3 Likes

You need to set the PVID (that’s on a different screen) for port 5 of the TP-Link switch to 70 (and not tagged). Everything connected to the “dumb” switch will be on VLAN 70.

For others reading this thread who may be using a Netgate box, their built-in switches need to also have the PVID set for access ports. I just set up an SG-3100, and the ports are set to VLAN 1 (port 1), PVID 40 (port 2), and trunk (all VLANs assigned) for ports 3 and 4.

2 Likes

I will try to do what you said and see if it works :slight_smile:

I did that setting as @LTS_Tom suggested in his video.

Finally got it working, I disconnected unmanaged switch and reconnected it back that for ip address to one more device but one left out.

Then I noticed in firewall that the second Solar Inverter was using old ip address, then I contacted Solar Installer he reset the network connection that got it working. He further stated that this two inverter are connected in daisy chain. I was wondering if that could have been the probable cause.

All in all got things working, Thanks a lot for support :slight_smile:

1 Like