Video Suggestion - Host Recovery

Hi Tom,

Having had to go through this pain, I thought perhaps it would make a good video for others.

I recently had to recovery from a failed host. With the comprehensive backup options in XOA, I thought this would be pretty easy. However, it is fraught with many pitfalls. Not overwriting SR’s, reattaching SR’s and restoring VM’s back on a new host with different UUID are just some of the issues I faced. As your videos are exceptional learning resource for XCP-NG I thought I should maybe reach out and make the suggestion.

I appreciate all your time and effort.

IM

I have a video covering that and the best thing to do is focus on backing up the VM’s and the metadata

Hi Tom,

Yes, I had watched that video. My backups (Full/Delta, metadata) etc, were fine. Over the years you have done a great job explaining how they work with best practises. This was more of a DR on a host failure. eg. If you only have one host system, and the XCP-NG parition goes, then recovery can be a bit tricky. If you have other hosts, then no problem, a simple VM restore is very easy. This was a suggestion as a last resort type senario, when your only option is a host recovery (for whatever the reason).

Again, I appreciate all the content/effort that you and your team put in.

IM

1 Like

That would be a lot of different variables. Like, where are you backing up your VM’s and how it’s stored. If you are using XOA for backups or if you wanted to use snapshots. The list goes on and on.