Video Suggestion: Dual WAN and Whole Network PIA VPN

Always enjoy your tutorial videos, just wanted to make a suggestion for a video covering pfSense setup of Dual WAN failover and whole network PIA VPN for both WANs.

Just add the second WAN, not really that different of a config

So I only need one OpenVPN PIA client setup for a dualwan setup? In other words, when PIA is setup for WAN1 and WAN1 goes down and pfsense switches to WAN2, WAN2 will use the one and only OpenVPN PIA that was setup?

Essentially what happens when you setup failover is the system will automatically change where the outbound traffic routes based on the priority you set in the tiers for the failover group. VPN’s are mostly like any other services running on or behind pfsense and will use the routes available to them.

I was curious about that. I am new to pfSense and learning the ropes. Doing some quick googling led me to believe that I would need to setup a whole new client instance based on the failover connection. Just started to watch the Netgate youtube video by Jim Pingle on Multi-WAN and I got the feeling halfway through the video that this might be what happens on failover, though I haven’t finished it yet and so far he hasn’t come right out and specifically said that the client instance would start using the available route after the failover. Thank you so much Tom for the info and keep up the great work/videos! :+1:

1 Like

I got it setup after creating the second WAN, however there was a little more involvement than just creating the second WAN. I ended up setting the OpenVPN client for PIA gateway to the gateway group. The gateway group I setup as WAN1 tier 1 and WAN2 tier 2 for failover, not load balancing, and pfSense 2.4.4 no longer has default gateway switching as a checkbox setting. Setting the tier correctly and setting the WAN you want as the default does this for you without having to go into the ‘Misc’ tab to check a box. I also use the DNS Resolver and ended up having to use DNS forwarder in the Resolver mode for my requests to be resolved. After that, everything was flowing correctly.