Using Signal Messenger for Truly Secure End to End Encrypted Conversions

Interesting article on Moxie:

I tried to get my friends to use this but none of them would, i know that other apps like snapchat and instagram store and or sell every piece of data they can get on you but these days. I don’t think most people don’t really care these days, there is also the fact that not many people (that i know) use it and if i don’t know anyone that uses it, chances are my friends also don’t know anyone that uses it which means there is no reason for them to get it. I would love to delete snapchat and replace it with signal but i cant because i don’t know anyone that uses it and thats the reason none of the people i know will use it.

Signal has been known for a long time now to be a scam. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who values security; their servers run proprietary software and their app is open source however they’ve threatened the github community with lawsuits just for forking the project under LibreSignal to lessen the ties to their sketchy closed source servers.

You’re much better off building an XMPP server and downloading the open source conversations app off of the f-droid app store and getting your friends to join, it’s like an exclusive encrypted forum that you can run from any PC with an internet connection.

I would not say “Signal is Scam” as that is a rather unfounded statement. In regards to your comment about:

Marlinspike’s rebuttal of Venema’s criticism is to point out he has called for the community to make a pull request for Websocket-only support in Signal multiple times, and no one has so far stepped up:

1 Like

I’m just stating my opinion. What you linked to is only part of the story however

They collect a database of all your contacts including your personal phone number and they’re storing it all on a proprietary server. The LibreSignal project wasn’t created just to bring websocket support back before it was officially implemented; it also made efforts to remove unnecessary analytics like giving the LibreSignal servers access to your contacts list. Moxi didn’t like this at all, and from what I saw on the github discussion he was worried about losing server-side control of Signal development.

My original point is that there are better, more secure ways to message friends that just require a little know-how to setup if you’re determined.