Using Linux as a Desktop OS in Workplace

Hi, I would be interested in a video about moving from Windows to Linux in a workplace environment. Pro, cons, potential pitfalls etc., distro recommendation(s), recommended software that would be pretty standard in the workplace. Many thanks! Love the videos you produce.

2 Likes

Dear Friend.
I moved to Linux in the Workforce about 10 years ago. Dont have any Regrets.
This is what I use:

• G Suite for Email, Docs, Sheets, Presentations
  • LibreOffice if i am ever offline and cant use the mentioned above
  • OS I use is Pop_OS! 19.10 (upgraded without any issues from 19.04)
  • Shutter for Screenshots and its management
  • Firefox and Chrome for Browsers
  • Signal for Private Messaging
  • Slack for Workforce Related conversations
  • Remmina for RDP
  • VLC for media usage
  • Virtualbox for VMs (when i need to use in the same Laptop and cant use my XCP-NG Lab)
  • We use ScreenConnect Control/Access for customer support
  • We use MSP SolarWinds for our Managed Clients

I hope this helps.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Signal and LibreOffice are all free? We can try to recommend this one… How about equivalent application for pdf extension? No problem with network printers?

1 Like

I’ve been using Linux at the office for a couple of years now. I echo what @pedracho posted.

I use Zathura as my pdf reader and LibreOffice if I need to edit a pdf. G Suite is my business email and I use Chrome with it as well. I use Firefox for almost everything else. Remmina for RDP and other protocols is amazing and I highly recommend it.

My OS of choice is Arch, although I just built myself a new PC at the office and threw Manjaro on it with my own build of i3wm. I have used KDE Neon, Pop_OS!, and Ubunutu in the past, but I prefer sticking with a rolling release model now. My distro-hopping days are over - I think, maybe.

But using Linux in the office is totally doable, as long as your IT people or boss is okay with it. Then the only challenge is dealing with proprietary software that your company may use in the course of business. That’s where Virtualbox comes in and running Windows in that if necessary.

I had the luxury that I was the IT people and I approved my own switch from Windows to Linux at work. I had several proprietary software programs from Motorola that work only on Windows and some of them required Windows on bare metal with legacy connections. For those I just stood up a different PC off to the side for that work when I needed it.

Otherwise, performing my duties as the Systems Administrator at the time on Linux worked out exceptionally well.

2 Likes

I don’t have any issues using Linux at my office, but the printer support can vary. Linux supports a lot of printers, but not all the printers so do some google searching on your printer, or just load up a distro and test it.

2 Likes

Do check your printer. Make sure its Linux compatible. The Drivers are embedded in the Linux Kernel so its very easy, just plug and play. But again, make sure to check your printer is Linux friendly.
Pop_OS! 19.10 has a built in PDF Reader, so that’s taken care of.

2 Likes

I primarily use Linux here as well. And to echo the thoughts of others, most everything you need in your daily tasks can be achieved with OSS. The one off windows/mac only software use cases can easily be taken care of in a VM

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your time and sharing your experiences with me. I greatly appreciate it. Everyone been very kind.

3 Likes

No Machine for remote and Master PDF Editor (free & paid) versions) for heavy PDF editing. Slack is not really secure since Slack has access to your crypto keys.

1 Like