Unifi Wireless went to slowww ....not a fun place

After upgrading to latest version to try and fix issue with jumbo frames Unifi pro 24 Storage vLAN - #19 by bobstertime my wireless has been terrible. My connection is an ATT 1Gb/1Gb → 1Gb connection pfsense box arm rx-47bb 4cpu 8GB of ram 32GB HDD 10Gb → 10Gb sfp+ on usw switch pro 24 (non-poe) → 8 port 150W Poe → UAP-AC-HD main floor and nano hd in basement. Kids were complaining about internet yesterday but I was hardwired in office getting 900Mb/950Mb. It has progressively gotten worse feels like and at loss. Anybody else experiencing these issues?

In addition I keep getting a rogue subnet 192.168.200.0/24 on different devices…

5.43.36.12724 on switches, and nano hd
4.3.28.11361 on ACHD

hello,

yes you are not the only one to find that firmware 5.43.36 has poor throughput. The DHCP issues have mostly been resolved with that release, and only a couple issues with shelly devices remain. I am running beta in my home lab, 5.63.0; and it is much better. Running 2 UAP AC LR and a Flex HD and was only getting 85Mbs through put on 5.43.36, same test device (ipad pro 2020) getting 350Mbs which is nearly my line speed from my ISP 400/400 fibre. So hang in there I would expect a 5.63.X will hit RC/ Official soon. If you are not set up to try out a beta version.

Yes did a roll back when I enable jumbo frames on usw 24 port it still gives itself a random ip so doesn’t work with controller. Maddening

I think we just glossed over something really odd here. Are you only seeing that on wireless devices? Does the UniFi controller show anything about a Rogue AP Detected in your Alerts?

Nothing on Rogue devices as soon as I change storage vlan to jumbo communication with controller fails. Now it’s a 192.168.1.x. I tried to set my nic to same subnet and then smh and that doesn’t work. Everything working but can’t manage switch. After rolling back AP firmware everything works great

This really does sound like there might be a 2nd dhcp server in the vlan.

It really does actually, not sure where that would be coming from though unless there’s another router (possibly for use in wireless AP mode) in the setup that hasn’t been mentioned.

@bobstertime, based on what you mentioned of your network the only place you can really utilize jumbo frames is on the SFP+ interfaces, everywhere else should be standard 1500 MTU.

This should be the only spot you enable jumbo frames if you are going to. You said you changed “storage vlan” over to jumbo frames? Is that a wireless network? That also should be left at the default MTU.

The ip addresses of the switch seem inconsistent. I thought about dhcp but the last vm isn’t on. And from what I remember you can do jumbo frames on my 1GB devices most hyoervisors from what I remember recommend it. If that is incorrect I can adjust never had an issue with it before in prod environments given we have 10GB or 100GB interfaces. But my first lab Freenas was using 1GB and jumbo frames. I don’t mind using 1500 but with voting I’ve seen advantages with jumbo frames is my only reasoning. Ubiquiti is asking for a video as they said it shouldn’t do that as well.

All 4 hypervisors 2 Xen, 2 Esxi 7 have 10GB copper cards I was trying to get away without buying a 10GB switch with the USW. If it doesn’t work as intended I would have came out better keeping the 16port POE and just getting a 10GB. Plus the dang AR doesn’t work on Android lol.

Thanks guys so much always good to bounce ideas of peers!!!

Sure you can enable jumbo frames on everything, but there is little to no advantage in doing so on a 1Gbps connection. The problem you’re running into especially with enabling it on your wireless is that the clients themselves don’t have the 9000 MTU set on their wireless NICs. You’re just creating more problems by doing it that way. You’d otherwise have to go on each and every device in your house and change those specific settings, which will also have to be changed back if those same wireless devices try to connect on another wireless network that is set for 1500 MTU.

Agreed but no wireless is on jumbo just the Truenas and Hypervisors. Only on storage vLans.