Unifi Switch port mirroring question

I’ve just purchased a new Unifi USW-48-PoE switch for my homelab. This is to upgrade a Netgear Pro managed switch which only has 16 ports and is fully populated.

On the Netgear switch I have one port defined as a “probe” with all the the other ports mirrored. On the probe port I connected an ntopng server to monitor all the network traffic. This works really well and ntopng can see all the traffic on the switch.

I am trying to do the same thing on the new Unifi switch, but it seems the only option available is to do a 1:1 port mirror, with no facility to mirror all the ports to a single probe port.

I’ve Googled for some info thinking I had missed something obvious, but it seems I’m not alone in finding this difficult on Unifi switches. Can anyone offer some advice on how to do this.

BTW, this is my first post on this forum, so I hope I’m in the right place :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Can’t answer your precise question, however, a workaround might be to have a lagg from your Netgear switch to your Unifi switch, I would guess you can monitor the lagg ports.

LAGG is not for mirroring

For mirroring in UniFI Go to the switch then the port manager:

• Select the port you wish to send the mirror the traffic to and click advanced
  • Under the Operation section, select Mirroring
  • Under Mirroring Port input the port you wish to mirror from

@LTS_Tom Thanks for the reply. I had already tried this, but it seems the USW is limited to only mirroring a single port 1 to 1 like this:

On my netgear switch, and indeed other switches I have used, you have the option to mirror many:1 like this:

It seems the Unifi switch cannot do this, which is disappointing.

The best workaround I can think of is to mirror the uplink port where my router is connected, but that will miss any traffic going between any other switch ports.

If anyone has found a better solution I’d love to here it.

Mike.