Unifi Switch 8 - 60W vs 150W

Hi,

I’m creating a new home networking setup using Unifi across the board.
I have plans for an 8 ports switch to be used in a small closed home communication “cabinet” (it is more of a closed niche.
It is not ventilated.

I plan to drive PoE from this router to: G3 Flex camera, 2 nanoHD APs, 2 flex mini switches (or just one depending on the selected product).

I am worried about heat dissipation, i heard the 150W Switch is running quite hot.
I would rather have 8 PoE ports for future proofing but not at the cost of damaging the router due to lack of heat dissipation.

Any advice?

While I don’t have any unifi kit, I do have several netgear switches both poe and not, they run warm to hot ! Some have fans some are passive.
They were all new so that I could ensure they have a lifetime warranty!

Best to ensure you know your warranty before you buy.

Though if they get too hot I would hope they are designed to switch off rather than melt.

All of the US-8 models run hot because they don’t have a fan, and don’t use the most efficient internal power components and SoC. They were designed with this in mind. They feel hotter than they are because the case is metal, and is used as part of the heatsink. However people have reported a significant drop in temperature by placing the US-8-150W on its side so that air can convect from one vent to the other. Others get a small, low power fan and blow through the switch.

If you want something more efficient and don’t need more than 4 POE ports, look at the USW-Lite-8-PoE. It is new so it may be hard to find in stock. Ubiquiti’s own store has the best stock.

I run the 8 port 150w switches powering access points and cameras with two fibre modules in 600x600x400mm cabinets with an inverter and a solar charger.

They do run hot for sure but they don’t seem to mind the heat. As @brwainer said, the case is actually part of the heat sink, the processor is actually attached to the case with a thermal pad. I don’t have any actually temperature readings (not sure if the controller keeps them?) but I seem to recall temperatures in excess of 60 deg C and everything kept working fine.

Never tried running one on it’s side but might give that a go and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks
My hole in the wall is 50x30x10cm (HxWxD) inside a dry wall with a plastic cover.
It is where all of the house communication lines converge (phones, Ethernet).
I don’t think I will have a proper space for a fan nor will i want to have noise coming from that space since it is in the entrance to the house next to the living room.
I believe i can mount the US-8-150W on its side in there with no issue.
I will also have a look at the new USW-Lite-8-PoE.

Do you think it will make a difference which one of the mentioned switches I put there?
I would rather use the 150W but if it is not suitable, will look the the 60W or the new 52W.

Now I think about it, I have an 8-150w running my games / kids computer area. It is in a fairly tight gap behind the sensor for the Xbox and I’ve never had a problem. Granted it isn’t doing much Poe there (only 1 AP) but it’s fairly well rammed in.

For the record, it’s running at just over 70 deg C in there.switch

This ^

This ^

72C is way too hot (187.x F) and IMO will substantially degrade lifespan and performance.

I would tend agree but that sort of ball park does seem to be normal for these switches.

True, it’s one of the many reasons why we have Gen2 now.

Thanks!
I will wait for the USW-Lite-8-PoE to be available.
I buy my Ubiquity gear through EuroDK and they don’t have it yet.

I hope it will run cooler.

1 Like