Unifi Site unable to connect to controller

I figured this out and I’m really impressed with myself. So here is a breakdown of what’s happening and we are still working on a permanent fix.

After making many calls to the two big ISPs in the area Comcast and Verizon we learned that this wasn’t just an issue I was having but something that affected me more than most. 300 users but not everyone necessarily experiencing the problem.

So we all know there are stars and stars that connect the internet. In my town we have I think 5 different entry points that allow traffic to flow. From there they go to all of the substations and get broken out to homes and businesses. These substations also have backbones to each other for redundancy. This all sounds very normal so far and nothing alarming.

After doing some very cool packet tracing with higher-level network engineers we discovered that if and only if packets when over one of those backbones would be able to carry the connection the packets would get dropped for a few ports one being 8080 and only in the 1 direction. I think it is probably a very one-off problem but they were able to do some things on their end and so far it is working.

1 Like

Glad it got figured out.

Didn’t read til the end :stuck_out_tongue: Reply retracted