Unifi app vlan setup

Hello all, just bought the newly released Unifi wifi 6 AP lite!!! Finally will have a vlan aware AP to apply these great @LTS_Tom videos as my router is a pfsense box.

Question, is the unifi app sufficient to setup vlans on this AP? Or do I need to spin up an Ubuntu VM to host thier software?

I have not used the app in a number of years, I would recommend using the UniFi Controller software.

1 Like

Using just the app, which sets the AP in “standalone” mode, only gives a small amount of the config options. I believe you can only do a single SSID. The app can be used with a controller as well, gives most of the features of the web controller interface

1 Like

Making a VM then haha. Don’t know why I’m adverse to it, I have a 24/7 hypervisor. I guess I don’t one more thing to maintain and be mindful of when migrating.

You can use these scripts to set it up easily. The person who made them is now a UI employee and still maintains them (separate accounts on the forum).

https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-Installation-Scripts-or-UniFi-Easy-Update-Script-or-UniFi-Lets-Encrypt-or-UniFi-Easy-Encrypt-/ccbc7530-dd61-40a7-82ec-22b17f027776

1 Like

The controller doesn’t need to be online 24/7 unless you’re running a captive portal. The only time it needs to be online is when pushing configuration changes. It’s pretty simple to maintain, everything is in the Unifi Apt repo so it’s just an apt update && apt upgrade to keep it up to date.

1 Like