Unifi 2.4Ghz Connection Issues

I’ve got three different networks that are having problems with 2.4Ghz clients. They all use a slightly different unifi product line, which makes me think I might be configuring something wrong.

Network 1: Mix of Unifi WAPs (LR, AC, U6, U6-Lites)
Network 2: Only U6-Lites
Network 3: UDM

The devices that are having trouble connecting vary from thermostats, smart watches (Apple and Fitbit) and DirectTV receivers. The only common thing between them is that they are trying to connect on 2.4Ghz.

I accidentally discovered that rebooting the host AP will allow the client to temporarily connect, at which point it later drops connection and constantly toggles connection state every few seconds. I’ve even created a dedicated 2.4Ghz network just to verify the issue and they do the same thing on it, as well.

Has anyone else seen this? How would I even begin to diagnose it? I’m stumped.

Suggestions are appreciated!

Channels set to 20MHz or 40Mhz? Only use 20MHz on 2.4GHz, and only set to 1, 6, or 11.

I’ve checked and all APs are using the HT20 bandwidth for 2.4Ghz. The APs are only using channels 1 or 6, so it would appear at first glance like I’ve addressed all of the initial constraints. However, devices are still not wanting to connect to the network.

That’s the limit of my knowledge then. I haven’t had this issue. I suggest asking on the Ubiquiti forums, or the unofficial Discord: https://discord.gg/ui

Thanks for the tip. I’m messaging on discord. If (hopefully, when) I get a solution, I’ll post it here for documentation. Reading through some of the posts, I’m not the only one.

I can’t remember the parameter but do you have the setting for dropping a client if signal or speed is low?

If that gets misconfigured by accident I could see something like this happening.

Other setting to try…Use WPA2 only not wpa2/wpa3. Also, turn PMF off.

You can also check your Advanced settings for the SSID and be sure to at least start with default settings for DTIM and no limitations on beacons.