UnFi vs pfsense May 2024

Features pfsense CE & Plus UXG Pro UDM Pro / Max / SE
Can Run on Your Own Hardware Yes No No
Can Be Virtualized Yes No No
Centralized Management No Via Self Hostable UniFi Network Server Yes Via UI Site
Web interface Yes Via Self Hostable UniFi Network Server Via Built in UniFi Network Server
License Fees *No for CE or with Netgate Hardware No No
Operating System FreeBSD Linux Linux
Automated Updates No Yes Yes
Granular change & rollbacks Yes (ZFS rollbacks in plus) No No
High availability Yes No Yes, beta with certain models
VLAN Support Yes Yes Yes
BGP / OSPF Yes Yes OSPF Yes OSPF
Captive Portal Yes Via UniFi Controller Via UniFi Controller
OpenVPN Yes Yes (very basic) Yes (very basic)
IPSec Yes Yes Yes
WireGuard Yes Yes Yes
L2TP VPN Yes Yes Yes
Automatic Site to Site no Via UniFi Network Server Site Magic
Tailscale Yes No No
IDS/IPS Yes (Suricata or Snort) Yes Basic Yes Basic
Content filtering & Controls No Yes (basic DPI/no SSL) Yes (basic DPI/no SSL)
Traffic Monitoring & Reporting Yes (NTOPNG) Yes Yes
DNS filtering Yes (pfblocker) Yes Basic Yes Basic
Advanced DNS Options Yes no no
GeoIP filtering Yes (pfblocker) Yes Yes
Traffic shaping Yes (advanced) Yes (basic on or off) Yes (basic on or off)
Multi-WAN support Yes Yes Basic Yes Basic
SNMP monitoring Yes No No
Active Directory Integration Yes Radius or LDAP Yes Via Radius Yes Via Radius
Policy routing Yes Yes (No WG) Yes (No WG)
Packet Capture & Diag Tools interface Yes No (yes on command line) No (yes on command line)
Netflow Export Yes (pfsense plus) No No
Reverse proxy or WAF Yes HAProxy No No
Letā€™s Encrypt Certificates Yes No No
3 Likes

maybe ā€˜yesā€™ should be colored green and ā€˜noā€™ should be colored red.

Text coloring is not supported in the markdown here.

Depending on the clients needs I have deployed UDMā€™s,I still prefer pfsense. Great breakdown!

Tom,

I believe the most significant line items to capture in your tests are those important line items for which no published information exists on the Internet. And which Ubiquiti flat out refuses to provide:

What is the respective throughput for the site-to-site VPNs supported by both Ubiquitiā€™s gateways and pfSense? Which are the throughputs for:

• Wireguard
  • IPSec
  • OpenVPN

To compare apples-to-apples, the throughput tests should be performed with IDS turned off.

Here is, verbatim, the response that Ubiquiti gave me when I asked for the throughput numbers for their various higher-end gateways:

Thank you for reaching out. I am Peter from the UniFi Security & VPN Team. I will be assisting in your case today.

We understand your concern regarding the VPN speeds across Site-to-Site VPNs. Regrettably, we donā€™t have specific values for the speeds that can be achieved.

However, we appreciate your feedback on this matter, and we will share it with our product team for consideration in future updates and improvements.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out. Weā€™re here to assist you in any way we can.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

It is high time for somebody to determine the performance figures that Ubiquiti refuses to provide to their customers. Iā€™ll let you speculate on the reasons for that refusal.

Best,

• Lucky

Yeah, I might do some testing of speed in a separate video from the features comparison.

Product ecosystem?

When comparing engines, a V8 against a V8 is a good comparison. However, some of us also need to drive a car. I can get to work faster with a V6 if itā€™s in ā€˜a carā€™, than looking at a beautifully tuned V8 sat on a workbench :slight_smile:

That would be fantastic and you would do the community a great service. Nobody else in the vastness of Ubiquti product review channels and sites has published the results of Ubiquiti gateways VPN throughput testing. By contrast, Netgate has (some) of those performance figures on their product pages.

Best,

• Lucky

Watched the video and was surprised with how far along unifi has come. Good video. Netgate is not sitting as pretty as I thought they were.

The more interesting question is, when will the feature set or GUI layout change enough to get Tom to jump ship?

My guess is never. It is for me. We all have our tribal camps. This has become a Ford vs Chevy debate.

I have been with pfsense for over 8 years. But with the recent business decisions trying to push users to the ā€œfreeā€ plus version and then bait and switch got me to not like them. I know they said it was going to be $129 but it was a terrible way to do it. I have supported them with submitting bug reports and paying for plus. The only thing that has me hanging on is no one else can compare to pfsense and my needs with it.

As soon as UniFi or someone else can get there I am jumping ship for sure. I donā€™t want to support a business that operates like netgate does.

The one thing that I did not cover but may cover in a future video is VPN speeds. Netgate contributes a lot to the crypto libraries (they are also a major code contributor to FreeBSD) and has much faster VPN speeds than many other systems. As far as I know, UniFi does not currently publish their speeds and that is something of contention because that matters to a lot of people.

Just between you and me, you will never leave pfsense, right?? :wink:

I can admit I will almost certainly never abandon my bare knuckles linux firewall. Unless the next version of unifi can do my taxes. That might get me to jump ship.

What they did to opnsense a while back was shameful. Says a lot about the character of their mgmt team. Not sure they even apologized.

I know that the SSH keys in the Unifi Controller GUI only support RSA and not elliptical keys. Also the SNMP key in the controller has to be downgraded from a max of 31 to 10 characters as soon as a Unifi switch is added. I donā€™t have a UBM to test, but its something to keep in mind.

No I am ready to move away from pfsense. Iā€™ve been in research mode evaluating everything from enterprise to open source. Or to possibly build my own solution or a mix of different options.

Oh sorry, I was responding to two posts there. Just poking at Tom a little bit, all in fun.

I kind of gathered you are sniffing around for something else. Surprised you are thinking about build your own. I wonā€™t get on my soap box except to say if you want true freedom, nothing comes close. No more leash tied to any company.

And if you do go down that road post your experience here if you feel comfortable. It would be fun to see what you do and compare notes. I know I can learn a thing or two from you.

Being picky but Letā€™s Encrypt works for Unifi on a self hosted controllerā€¦

Useful comparison (Am sticking with Pfsense for now, but I wish Netgateā€™s marketing/comms would get their act together!)

You can use Letā€™s Encrypt, but itā€™s not integrated or automated.

But like pfblocker, haproxy etc itā€™s an add in, some of which are not supported/covered by Netgate - i know Acme is a Netgate item though but others arenā€™t so caveats apply?

But obviously added value for pfsense over unfi is the existence of the 3rd party package ecosystem?