Unavailable install of SyncThing on TrueNAS and alternative solutions

Hi all,

Before I start, I have been trying to resolve this myself for some time, sorry for taking your time.

I’ve been trying to install SyncThing after previously having several successful installs.

In TrueNAS Core (latest version), I created a jail, pkg update and then do the following:

root@syncthing:/bin # pkg install syncthing
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'syncthing' have been found in the repositories

So I try to simply install the plugin instead:

Install
Error: syncthing had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - syncthing : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

I wonder if I have a network issue, and try installing a common jail such as Netdata:

root@syncthing:/bin # pkg install netdata
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 30 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        Judy: 1.0.5_3
        bash: 5.1.16
        ca_root_nss: 3.76
        curl: 7.82.0
        e2fsprogs-libuuid: 1.46.5
        gettext-runtime: 0.21
        indexinfo: 0.3.1
        json-c: 0.15_1
        libffi: 3.3_1
        liblz4: 1.9.3,1
        libnghttp2: 1.46.0
        libssh2: 1.10.0,3
        libuv: 1.42.0
        libyaml: 0.2.5
        mpdecimal: 2.5.1
        netdata: 1.33.1_2
        pkgconf: 1.8.0,1
        py38-certifi: 2021.10.8
        py38-cffi: 1.15.0
        py38-cryptography: 3.3.2
        py38-idna: 3.3
        py38-openssl: 20.0.1,1
        py38-pycparser: 2.21
        py38-pysocks: 1.7.1
        py38-setuptools: 57.0.0
        py38-six: 1.16.0
        py38-urllib3: 1.26.8,1
        py38-yaml: 5.4.1
        python38: 3.8.13
        readline: 8.1.2

Number of packages to be installed: 30

The process will require 191 MiB more space.
37 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

So it seems there’s an issue with Syncthing perhaps?

This being the case, I did look into downloading the package manually and putting it in the jail directory and pointing to it, but this didn’t work either. (that’s likely down with my lack of skills).

Am I correct that packages can only be installed from the TrueNAS repository, and if there’s an issue with that, it’s just a waiting game? It would be nice to have a safe workaround in the event of an issue like this, in the event that a package is needed fairly promptly. It’s a little frustrating that I can’t download and install the version that’s easily download’able from the SyncThing website.

Very much appreciate your comments.

Previously I did use your “Manual Jail Setup Tutorial For Syncthing on FreeNAS 11.3” video with 100% success:

Yup, it’s not available via the BSD package manager, just download and install it via this site Syncthing | Downloads

1 Like

Thank you for confirming Tom, very much appreciated.

I did download the install package file from the Syncthing website, just having difficulty installing, but that’s more my problem.

Thank you for confirming and have a good day. :+1:

1 Like

Did you solve the installation of the tar.gz package from Syncthing webpage? I am in the same situation.

That method seemed impossible, I think I had to go back to old jail versions before it worked via the git method.