UDM Pro vs UDM SE

Ubiquiti’s website has a “UniFi OS Console Resource Calculator” page - https://www.ui.com/consoles/resource-calculator.

This page seems to suggest that the UDM SE has more processing power (or is more efficient at controlling UniFi devices) than the UDM Pro. Simulate 75 access points on both the UDM Pro and then the UDM SE, and the SE shows significantly lower CPU and memory usage on this calculator.

I know UniFi routing isn’t always a fit - but for the use cases where this does suit, where just basic routing and UniFi controller is required, is there an advantage in the UDM SE in this regard? I have several UDM Pros deployed but none of the UDM SE. The UDM Pros work well but I do see quite high resource usage on the device. I don’t care about the PoE or SSD features on the UDM SE.

Has any one had any real world experience with both of these devices?

1 Like

With the release of the UDM-SE, Ubiquiti also released Unifi OS 2.x for UDMs. This has a major architectural change. In Unifi OS 1.x the system boots into a barebones linux install called UbiOS, which is where the network functions live (all the things that a UXG-Pro also does - and this is shared with the UISP routers as well, it is a replacement for EdgeOS which was based on Vyatta). Then it runs a container which is the Ubuntu-based UnifiOS, which is where all the controllers run. This could have been a really elegant and modular system, each controller/app being its own container, but instead they only used one container and put everything into it. With UnifiOS 2.x they get rid of this split environment and just run everything in the base OS. This is why the UDM-SE has a lower CPU overhead for the Network controller than the UDM-Pro, but it is only temporary because UnifiOS 2.x for the UDM and UDM-Pro has been in beta for a bit and should release soon.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s a great explanation!

With the UDM-Se getting various updates recently, is it finally becoming a potential edge device over pfsense/untangle/XG Home etc