Ubuntu 20.04 Java Install Video

I think you have an opportunity to hit the youtube algorithms if you were to make a video on getting java working on 20.04 with the application shortcuts in the proper menus along with file association. I’m very disappointed that since oracle changed their licensing the repo with which I used to install java is now gone. I can’t believe how cumbersome it is to get java going now in Ubuntu when application installs are usually so easy. The videos and info out there are old info or don’t have the polish so the end user is easily able to utilize their java security settings and launching files. I know it sounds like a stupid video for something so simple but I’ve had a few different people fail to get theirs going so I know it’s way too hard for the average user.

What did you need java for? I don’t normally install it, I just use sudo apt-get install icedtea-netx which works for the few things that I need java for.

I have Arch as a Desktop and have Java installed right from the repos.

I have Ubuntu 20 as my UniFi server with Java installed from the repos.

Of course its openJDK the open sourced version of Java’s standard base. But it works just the same. It’s from Java/Oracle themselves.

Ubuntu 20’s openJDK repo: OpenJDK builds (all archs) : “PPA for OpenJDK uploads (restricted)” team or How To Install Java with Apt on Ubuntu 20.04 | DigitalOcean

1 Like