Trying to improve gaming server netwrok

Hi Sean D here from Easy Co Gaming. I have been running gaming servers from my home lab for about a year now and I have been trying to figure a more efficient way of doing it as of now. Some of the things I want to accomplish is to have dual ISP running as a fail over and also being able to hide my Local IP.

ISP
1 Cable 1G Down 100MB Up
1 Fiber 1G Down 1G Up

My current set up is I have

4 Poweredge R620 Servers with 4 port NIC cards 2 10G and 2 1G (Running Proxmox But thinking of switching)
1 Synology NAS 1621+ with 2 14TB hard drives with 10G Dual port NIC
1 TP link 10G 8 port unmanaged switch (not currently hooked up yet)
1 TP Link 1G 16 port managed switch (switch likes to stop working and has to be restarted to transmit data sometimes)
1 TP Link 1G 8 Port unmanaged switch
1 Alli purchased device to host PFsense on (not currently deployed yet)

I have game servers running on different machines.

I want to be able to host the game servers using a different IP. I’m not sure the best way to set everything up.

My thoughts were to route the servers through a VPN to linode or Ocean using tailscale or zerotier through PFsense and use 2 ISP together. Not sure on how to accomplish this correctly or if that is the best way to do it. Also unsure about how the ports will work.

Another thought was using reverse proxy or a proxy. Not sure about that either.

Right now for example I have a Conan server running and uses my IP 100.100.100.100 on ports 27018 7777 7778 when people connect they could see my IP and want to eliminate that.

Also using the second ISP Cable as just a Fail over seems like a good viable option.

I also was thinking about VLANS and to keep the game servers on a seperate network all together but unsure on how to get that down while keeping it talking with the NAS. Also would I be able to use the unmanaged 10G switch and still be able to accomplish the VLANS.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Would love to hear what would work the best?

All of these options: “VPN to linode or Ocean or using tailscale or zerotier” will probably add too much latency causing a less than great gaming experience. As for reverse proxy, how well that works will be game dependent, not sure what games do or don’t work with reverse proxy. Pfsense can handle policy routing for each connection so you can choose the best ISP connection for hosting the servers.

I would setup a proxy with a cloud provider and forward to your servers across IPSec VPN tunnels that connect across both ISPs to your pfSense. I would then setup eBGP between the cloud provider and your pfSense for failover. Like @LTS_Tom said, performance could take a hit, but the only way to know is to test it. Some games allow higher latency than others.

Will attempt this Saturday Thank you

Appreciate the feed back I will look into it this week