Trunking question

Is there any advantage to having dedicated trunk lines for VLANs from router to switch?
I would like to use VLANs and can make short cables. The only benefit I can think of would be that full bandwidth would be available to each VLAN. Is it a waste of time for a home office?

I generally prefer a single trunked link up to the firewall from my switch. If you’re concerned about bandwidth constraints I’d use something like ntop to see how impacted that LAN interface gets during load. If it’s getting stuffed, maybe move up to 10G for that link or think about link aggregation.

Usually it’s the switch ports that I’m trying to preserve, tbh. I use only the firewall ports that I absolutely need and shut down the rest.

1 Like

If you are only going to have 1 VLAN go across a physical link I would config it as an access port and not a trunk port. If the two connect devices support this, I would rather configure an etherchannel/lag leveraging LACP and build a trunk across it. This is pretty standard practice.

2 Likes

Quick latency question.

Will this improve ping times by any for low latency applications such as gaming or remote control?

Trunk or not, it should be the same latency. Unless you are saturating your 1Gb link.

1 Like