TrueNAs SLOG advice for old Dell R610

Hi,

I have an old Dell PowerEdge R610 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz and 72GB RAM. I Have very poor performance with NFS share. To remedie this issue I disabled sync which provide me with decnet speed but stop me from sleeping at nigh as I know things can go wrong with this setup. I am looking to add a slog drive as this seem to be the proper way to do it. I am looking at using the Intel DC P4510 NVMe drive for my slog drive. Could anyone please tell me if this drive is good/fast enough to be used as a slog drive? Does anyone know if it will work in my R610 Server (HBA) card

Thank you in advance

The SYNC commits are on about a 5 second cycle, so you could lose up to 5 seconds of data. It would not corrupt ZFS.

Thank you for the reply. I didn’t realised that the worse that could happen is 5sec of lost data. As it is used as a backed storage for our Asigra Backup I guess this can be acceptable.

I thought the data will still reside on the SLOG device until the system comes back online and then it will finish committing what was left over. I Don’t think he would lose any data?

@LTS_Tom was is telling that WITHOUT a SLOG device, the worse that can happen is a 5sec of data lost.

1 Like

If you DON’T have a SLOG and have SYNC disabled you could lose 5 second data:

1 Like

Thank you @LTS_Tom . This is an awesome video