TrueNAS Scale as VM in XCP-NG

Is there a current youtube video that I can follow to install TrueNAS Scale as VM in XCP-NG ??

IT should be a pretty straight forward process of installing it as if it were a normal install for TrueNAS.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You will need to pass through each drive, otherwise it is simple. Tom has info on passing the drives through here on the forum.

Now all that said… There is a problem… When you need to do updates to XCP-NG, you will not have the automated vm migration! The Truenas will be tied to that specific hypervisor and it just makes dealing with updates a pain.

I tried this, my goal was to pass through drives on each of my 3 hosts, run Truenas Scale on each host and make a distributed filesystem to hold all my VMs, a poor man’s XOStor. After finding that XCP updates were going to be a pain, I stopped with this experiment. If there is a better way than what I was doing, I’d really like to know so I can implement it.

I didn’t say it was a good idea. If it’s all for testing then it’s fine. Obviously for anything deemed production I would advise against.

ixsystems says you can do this and it’s fine, but not really a workable solution with the way I was trying it. Again if anyone has a working theory that might be better, I’d like to hear it because I’d like to have unified storage that is resilient and use my NAS as backup only. XOStor is the thing to have, but they priced it way outside of my market. HA Lizard seems to be a dead project, so not really an answer for me, and I’m not knowledgeable enough to build my own out of Gluster or other tools.

But this is getting a bit far off the question. So the answer is, yes you can do it, and for a lab it might be OK. If you are using a VM of Scale it might be OK as a general file server too.