TrueNAS Replication Backup Loses Access

I’ve had a TrueNAS core system (upgraded to Scale earlier this year) for years, and have since upgraded the drives for added duplication (was 2x14TB, now 6x4TB). Once everything replicated over to the new drives, I had the 2 14TB drives sitting there, and decided to make a true backup. I followed the instructions in the linked video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIj0iHtZvOg) and everything seemed to work perfectly. I also learned that since i didn’t have snapshots initially, I couldn’t use the datasets already on the 14TB drives. no worries, I can rebuild as needed, and I have the originals to replicate from.

I deleted the original Datasets from the Backup, Then made new ones: Pictures and Documents. I made SMB shares of both just to make sure the replication task occurred correctly. Created 2 replication tasks, one for each dataset, and went to bed. Checked the next morning, and Pictures is perfect. All the files updated and are accessible. Documents shows that data transferred to the dataset, but I cannot access it. The SMB share that worked before the replication says not accessible in Windows. When I try to access it from shell, I get “cd: permission denied: /mnt/Backup-ML/Documents”.

I’m not sure where the issue lies. I’ve deleted the dataset, snapshots, and tasks to try from scratch, but as soon as the replication occurs I cannot access the data. The only differences I can see are:
-The Backup dataset shows 15.94GiB, where the Main is 16Gib even.
-The Main system doesn’t have an “admin” login, and I’ve logged in as root since i built it. the Backup system is a new install, and requested to log in as admin, and disabled root password by default.

Not sure why one works and the other doesn’t. if anyone has ideas and needs data, I’ll show what I can. I’m trying to get this working locally before adding tailscale to move the backup to a remote location.

Thanks for all the help! both in videos in the past, and currently!

Sounds like a permissions issues. Check that the user that owns the files on the source server matches the users that owns the files on the destination server.

As above

Beside the username matching, the UID of the account may have to match

OK, That may be the issue. I have been trying permissions stuff on the Backup side, but if the owner doesn’t match up, that may be where i’m getting errors. So i’ll make sure the owner on the Main server matches to the one on the Backup server.

Let me give that a shot!

Of course, you’re correct! looking at the ACL on the Backup, there was always 1 that was garbled, and I realized it was Group from Main that wasn’t on Backup. added the GID and group info from Main to Backup, then added that group to my SMB user, and it works perfectly. I knew it was simple, but needed a punch in the right direction after assuming the issue was on the Backup side!