One drawback i underestimated on reusing an old PC for Truenas, was its power consumption. I am trying various things to reduce idle power consumption. One thing i wanted to look at was putting the HDD in standby mode when not in use. But found some articles that have some caveats ( Disk Standby ). Before i go ahead and do this some queries as i have seen opposing views on putting disks on standby
- is it worth putting the disks on standby (from a power saving perspective). I have a NAS with 8 HDD.
- How often should the auto SMART tests be conducted, would once a days suffice? as this is one of the things that wakes up the disks.
- Another thing about putting disk on standby was to move to the system dataset and syslog to the boot disk (not preferred if boot disk is USB) instead of the data volume.
- Does putting disks on standby reduce the life of the disk. Read that frequent spin ups and spin down reduce the overall life of the disk. Enterprise drives are manufactured to run 24X7.
- Is there anything else i can do to reduce idle power consumption ?