TrueNAS Core & Scale shares not appearing

TrueNAS Core & Scale SMB shares not appearing in some cases in Linux and not accessible in Windows 10. I have 2 TreNAS Core servers and 3 TrueNAS Scale servers.

Under Windows 10 PC #1 the 2nd Core server and the 2nd Scale server are not accessible but all 5 servers appears in the network section of file explorer. On Windows 10 PC #2 only the 2nd Scale server is inaccesible but all server names and all share names appears in the list.

On my Linux Mint PC only the 2 Core servers appear in the network list (in Nemo file manager) and are accessible. The shares from the Windows PCs don’t appear in the Linux Mint network list under Windows Network but I can connect to them as well as to the invisible TrueNAS servers by specifying the IP address, share name and credentials.

All TrueNAS server SMB shares are set up the same way with the same user name and password as the 3 PCs and the owner of the datasets of all the TrueNAS servers belong to this user name and group.

A quirky thing with Windows 10 sharing is that I cannot access shares on Windows PC #1 from PC #2 even though it appears under network (but the shares don’t), but the reverse works. Both PCs have the exact same version of Windows and the all the networking options are identical.

I have done a lot of searching and tried various things suggested on the Internet without success even turning on SMB version 1. There is so much conflicting information out there that it’s almost impossible to identify a potential solution.

I’m not a beginner with Windows networking (having used it since version 3.1 for workgroups) but the inconsistencies are driving me up the wall. I’m not as familiar with Linux having used it only for a couple of years.

Daniel

I always implicitly mount the share using their path, not by browsing for them.

1 Like

If it works for even 1 machine properly, then the issue isn’t TrueNAS. If there is any hardening, it will disable guest accounts (needed) on the local machines. Make sure guest access is allowed on your shares and datasets.

Being an experienced windows user, you should be all too familiar with the finicky nature of windows shares.

To test, use one of your windows machines and create a share - make it discoverable to the network and verify which machines can or can’t see it. This will validate where the issue lies. Ideally use your “best” windows 10 machine so you can verify the issue on known non-working clients.