Thoughts on secure email?

With the “How they got hacked” episodes along with every google search and some emails from friends now showing up as product ads. I’m looking at going to a secure email solution (I’m currently trying out DuckDuckGo as a search engine).

In doing some web surfing, it seem ProtonMail, Tutanota and Mailfence seem to be consistently in the top 5 of the reviews. Does anyone have any experience in using these services for email? I know Mailfence add Calendar and some other integrated tools, but ProtonMail and Tutanota seem to have at least the calendar on the road map as well.

I know these are all paid services and Tutanota is open source so I may try them first but wanted to get some thoughts from the group.

Thanks,
John.

1 Like

Mailfence I can’t comment on but as to ProtonMail and Tutanota I have both and am very happy with them for communicating with clients (part of the service agreement). Haven’t had any issues that would be a big negative.
DuckDuckGo is also a standard for me better results but also use searx.me and Ixquick when I do thorough search.
For confidential file sharing take a look at Semaphor from SpiderOak https://spideroak.com great for teams zero knowledge crypto.
That is all.

Thank you very much for the additional search sites and for the file share.

If you were to pick between ProtonMail and Tutanota which would you pick and why?

Thanks,
John.

I’d choose ProtonMail it is well done and based in Switzerland where the privacy laws are the strongest. Proton’s data center is also best practice, very well connected and physically secure.
Trusting nothing I still encrypt sensitive information before attaching to an email. How did Buffalo Springfield put it song “paranoid runs deep.” In todays world it pays to be suspicious.

1 Like